Page 97 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4787919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,395 of 3650

Thread: President Trump

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 20/0
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Oh, please do NOT delete this thread, it has high historic/sociologic value.
    No kidding.
    I find most interesting how did everybody´s ideas and positions varied along the time, styarting with the very first post:
    Chopping most of it, specially the fundational years, when nobody what woud happen next , would be akin to a Lobotomy.
    I agree with you, Juan, which is why I was going to save all of the posts from September 15, 2015 through December 31, 2017 in a closed and sticky'd thread at the top of the Soap Box subforum available for viewing.

There seem to be two very divergent opinions on this issue: "delete 'em all" and "save 'em all". I believe that my proposed solution spelled out above is a reasonable compromise and will start a poll on it to get members opinion on it.

Very much in line with "1984" ´s basic mind congtrol system: "rewriting of the past".
    You might argue "but we rewrite nothing, it´s still somewhere out there".
    Well, the first step in rewriting the past is to begin with hiding it, or at least make it more inconvenient to find.
    C'mon, Juan, I am not Big Brother and this not "1984". The closed and sticky'd thread will be at the very top of the listings for this subforum, not buried away in the back pages as would happen if not a sticky.

And having *one* user having problems (which no one else suffers by the way) is NOT a justification to affect all others.
    Mark Hammer discovered a serious bug in the forum software- clicking the wrong button and having the software lock up is a problem.***
    Imagine you building and amp which will go into uncontrolled oscillation if you turn the Gain, Treble and Presence controls to 10. Would you fix the problem before shipping out the amp or just figure that no one in their right mind would max out those 3 controls?

*** Specifically, by setting the Display Mode to Threaded in a thread with 3,300+ posts.

Worst case, split it in 1 year chunks, but leave them available inside the Forum, not "archived somewhere else".
    I changed my mind about splitting the posts before 01/01/2018 into 2 or 3 batches. There would be one archived thread to which I would move all of the posts from 2018 on April 1, 2019.

Thinking again, even that splitting is unadvisable, because it makes hard to impossible do a full search for anything inside the thread.
    Have you tried using the search engine to find a specific post in recent times? I'm pretty sure that we were able to do that a few years back but now the search engine compiles a list of just the threads and not the specific posts. So having to manually search through the ~350 posts from 2018 would be a LOT easier than manually searching through 3,300+ posts.

And what is the (general) "problem" we are trying to "solve"?
    When I click on this thread it shows me the first page only , some 20/30 posts, in seconds; then I click "last" and bam!! , I´m here.
    Piece of cake.
    It does not try to load 23748 posts, that´s for sure.
    So using the hypothetical analogy I suggested above you WOULD ship out the amp that goes into uncontrolled oscillation when you set the Gain, Treble and Presence controls to 10 because YOU know how to operate your amp properly?

As explained in my post earlier today when we set the Display Mode to Threaded the forum software will try to correlate all of the posts in a logical order, with a posts replying to a prior post being linked to that post. Here is a screenshot of what the Threaded Display looks like (being a static image it does not show how you can scroll up and down that list.)

Steve A.

CORRECTION: I just now tried setting the Display option to Threaded on my Samsung Tab 4 7.0 android tablet using the Puffin browser and it compiled that view of the President Trump thread very quickly. So perhaps the problem Mark was having was caused in part by the older hardware and software he was using (like Win XP).
    In any case he is not the only person in the world going online with outdated (vintage?!?) uardware and software.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Steve A.; 04-11-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 86/1
    Given: 0/0
    Oh for pete's sake. If this bugs us so much, just do something. If you want to start a new thread, fine, start it and lock the old. Leave the old in place like it always was. The search will still look at it, anyone can read it, we just couldn;t post to it, we'd have to use the next section. Who cares?

Why does the old thread have to be a sticky? Search will find it no matter how far down it sinks. And having endless rows of stickies is one annoyance I find with forums. In some I have to scroll past the bottom of the page to get to fresh posts after the stickies.

WHy turn this into some complicated dance? If you lock the old, it will be there forever anyway. If someone wants to go back and bring up my posts to see if I contradicted myself, or to see if you made a mistake in your posts. They will all be there for the search. Anyone wants to add new posts, well there the new thread sits in all its glory. We don't need to edit anything, rearrange anything.

Then we could get past talking about, talking about the thread.

Imagine you building and amp which will go into uncontrolled oscillation if you turn the Gain, Treble and Presence controls to 10. Would you fix the problem before shipping out the amp or just figure that no one in their right mind would max out those 3 controls?
    Now what if you were Fender, and had 10,000 of that amp out in the world, and ONE, just ONE, of them developed some oscillation? Would you redesign the amp? This forum has many members and many posts and plenty of long threads. Is this an ongoing problem? Or does it only affect our friend Mark on this ONE thread?

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 38/0
    Like enzo I don't find the benefit in making anything sticky. I think sticky threads are a PITA. To me it would be fine to give the old Trump thread no special treatment, as it's just another thread. Why give it special treatment? It's not as if it's truly important, it's just banter. As long as the subject remains popular, the most recent Trump thread will always find it's way to the top. there's no need to artificially elevate old posts by making them sticky. Doing that would just force obsolete old stuff to the top of the forum, which doesn't make sense. Like -enz said, if anyone wants to find it the search feature will take care of that.

Another thing that makes the "stickification" (W) of threads irrelevant -- I imagine that most of us "regulars" search the forum by looking at new posts, rather than browsing to the forum by topic to find active posts. In that context making something sticky has no meaning.

It *IS* an ongoing problem. If I do what Mark recommends I find that I can jam the server and make it unresponsive. Web server guys recognize it as a means of susceptibility to denial of service.

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 109/1
    Given: 94/4
    Agree, no need to sticky it (or any other one, stickies are a PITA, very annoying) , simply leave it there,in full, and easy to find and search .... nothing further is needed of an old but still current thread.
    This will become irrelevant , say, 6 months after the new Prez takes charge, but since it may very well happen 3 years in the future .... I´d at least keep it handy until then.

After that, it will be as interesting as a 30 years old thread about Nixon

Hey, nobody even mentions Bush Senior!!!!

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    I hate stickies, too, but I have proposed one here (which will be the first and hopefully only one in the Soap Box) as a compromise between the two factions on this issue. Closed threads by their nature will keep dropping further and further back because of the lack of activity. If this thread is left intact those earlier posts will be readily available as long as this thread is active.

BTW there are two very active discussions on this issue going on in two threads right now: this one and the one started by Mark Hammer on March 13 titled "Resetting display mode." So some of the posts in this thread are actually in response to posts in the other thread, like the one below which sparked the whole discussion here.

Resetting display mode - Page 2

Code:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46187-new/
    BTW to get to the last page of any thread add "-new" to the end of the 5 digit T number in the "Thread URL" should take you to the last page of any thread here.

Here is the post that started the discussion here (FWIW I never suggested closing this thread, just splitting off the older posts.)

Steve A.

P.S. Remember the old days (i.e., the 90s) when instead of Bookmarks we would use text files with links that we'd click on to get to a particular website or webpage? (Or was that something that was used by just me?)

In any case I have found that using such a list is the easiest way to scoot around at MEF. No need to go back to the forum index and click on the forum you want and then finally click on the thread you want. Especially if you click on the word "Forum" in the full "threadname" at the top of each page (like Forum -> Hang Out -> Parking Lot -> Soap Box -> President Trump) which takes you to the Activity Stream instead of the forum index page. Note: if you click on the word Forum on the 3-button bar at the top (after What's New? & Articles) you will actually get to the forum index. Woohoo!

I will be posting a "cheat sheet" with the URLs for all of the active forums and subforums as well as some of the very active threads here. Hopefully in the next week or two...

EDIT: Attachments lost, I will add them back later.

Last edited by Steve A.; 04-14-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/21
    Given: 55/9
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    I paid $1.74 today for gas.
    Unemployment is at 4.9%.
    Everyone I know around here that wants to work, is.
    That was not the case when GW left.
    I would have voted to give Obama another 4 year term, if that was an option!
    We will check back here in a year and see if gas is still as low as $1.74, and unemployment is as low as 4.9% ?
    I doubt that it will be.
    T
    I paid $2.39 today for gas.
    Gas is up 38% in 1 year and 5 months.
    Unemployement is down to 4.1%
    Everything is costing more these days.
    My SS doesn't go any further.
    Just wanted to report back on gas, since doofus has been Supreme leader!
    T

“When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.” WILL ROGERS

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 86/1
    Gas is $2.29 today here in Mason, near Lansing. We got up into Lansing and found gas near the freeway at $2.89. Around Lansing in general it averaged $2.69. Make of that what you will. Gas has not been up to $3 in a long time, it dipped under $2 for a while not long ago.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 30/0
    Yep. And, if we go to war with Syria, it will go even higher.

Gas higher.
    Midwest farming on the verge of destruction via trade war.
    Stock market roller coaster.
    GOP talking about cuts to medicare and social security.
    Media and law enforcement being delegitimized.
    Interest rates higher.
    Russia investigation resulting in new indictments and prosecutions weekly.
    War mongering with North Korea and Syria/Russia.
    Global warming denial and resistance to action.
    And on, and on, and on.

Yet, many still in the Trump camp and willing to vote against their own interests............Baffling.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh, I still have some hope left.
    The shouting match against NK has been quietly swept under the rug, which is a *good* thing, I only hope the Syrian "problem" will be dealt with the same way.

My hope is that after some extra chest thumping on both sides, the UN inspectors "find nothing special" at Gouta (which I think is the truth) so the situation slowly deflates.
    Praying that happens, on the good interest of both sides.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh, I still have some hope left.
    The shouting match against NK has been quietly swept under the rug, which is a *good* thing, I only hope the Syrian "problem" will be dealt with the same way.

My hope is that after some extra chest thumping on both sides, the UN inspectors "find nothing special" at Gouta (which I think is the truth) so the situation slowly deflates.
    Praying that happens, on the good interest of both sides.
    I doubt that they will find anything conclusive at Ghouta because they keep moving that stuff around... we need to find the stockpile and be able to link it to Assad.

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Yep. And, if we go to war with Syria, it will go even higher.

Gas higher.
    Midwest farming on the verge of destruction via trade war.
    Stock market roller coaster.
    GOP talking about cuts to medicare and social security.
    Media and law enforcement being delegitimized.
    Interest rates higher.
    Russia investigation resulting in new indictments and prosecutions weekly.
    War mongering with North Korea and Syria/Russia.
    Global warming denial and resistance to action.
    And on, and on, and on.

Yet, many still in the Trump camp and willing to vote against their own interests............Baffling.
    Yep, it sure looks like Trump has Made America Grit their teeth and mumble curses under their breath Again (as we did during the Bush years.)

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh, he DID it after all.
    When I wrote my post above I still hadn´t read the news.

Only thing I can say is that if WW3 didn´t start was because Putin showed a ton of restraint.
    Those Tomahawks were launched from *somewhere*, most probably some ship, Putin "should" have sunk at least one.

All I can think is that he is a very good Chess player, does not run by knee jerk reactions but thinks long term.

FWIW now he has the perfect excuse to upgrade Syrian weaponry as much as he wants.

A Month ago Syrians for the first time downed one Israeli F16 and damaged another, using their Soviet era but just upgraded S200 missiles.
    Now Putin is sending them a battery of S300, the next generation.

And he *still* has his two Syrian bases, Air force Hmeymim and Navy Tartus ... which are defended by fourth generation S400 .... which by their mere presence stopped US and Turkish flights over Syria on their tracks.

And Assad is *still* Syrian President.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Now if the UN could prosecute Putin and al-Assad in court for war crimes, and hang them both?
    Things would be looking up!
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Only thing I can say is that if WW3 didn´t start was because Putin showed a ton of restraint.
    Those Tomahawks were launched from *somewhere*, most probably some ship, Putin "should" have sunk at least one.

All I can think is that he is a very good Chess player, does not run by knee jerk reactions but thinks long term.
    So this begs the question as to whether this whole ploy is to get Trump and the US to react with knee jerk speed involving Syria. During the debates leading up to the election Trump was all about "Staying out of Syria" and let's focus on the USA. When this same thing happened last year it appalled me that Trump just started shooting off missiles. There are reports from Syria where a doctor at the hospital claims the chemical attack was unconfirmed. He said that they were treating victims of some attack for smoke inhalation and two unidentified men entered the hospital room saying it was a chemical attack. At that point all the family of the victims started pouring water all over the victims while the two men filmed it. So there is suspicion that the entire incident may be pure manipulation but by who? Also, why would they use chemical weapons at that exact location in this time frame where the Pro-Syrian regime is winning the war?

When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Watch "New Rule: Married to the Mob | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/L4Tu4MKeOx8

Steve A.

P.S. So it has been 28 days since the last post on the President Trump thread (which was on April 14th)...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Now if the UN could prosecute Putin and al-Assad in court for war crimes, and hang them both?
    Things would be looking up!
    T
    Why would they?
    So far war crimes are being comitted by USA and UK, with the reluctant help of France and Germany.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    There are reports from Syria where a doctor at the hospital claims the chemical attack was unconfirmed. He said that they were treating victims of some attack for smoke inhalation and two unidentified men entered the hospital room saying it was a chemical attack. At that point all the family of the victims started pouring water all over the victims while the two men filmed it. So there is suspicion that the entire incident may be pure manipulation but by who? Also, why would they use chemical weapons at that exact location in this time frame where the Pro-Syrian regime is winning the war?
    I think the same.
    So the old Detective question applies: Cui Bono?
    cui bo·no?
    kwē ˈbōnō/
    exclamation
    exclamation: cui bono?

who stands, or stood, to gain (from a crime, and so might have been responsible for it)?
    Definitely Neither Syria nor Russia, who would be both happy to see USA leaving Syria.

FWIW Trump himself just 1 week earlier voiced his wish to leave ... but shady operations such as this one force him to stay or look anti-American.

Oh well.

Now he unilaterally left the Nuclear agreement with Iran, co-signed in its time by UK, Germany, France, China, Russia and of course, Iran.

**For the first time in recent History both France and Germany voiced strong disagreement and vowed to go on on their own *against* USA wishes**

Influential German magazine Der Spiegel put on its cover:

French Economy Minister complained angrily that France stands to lose BIG time if they follow US orders "like a Cadet standing at attention" , since they have Billionaire deals with Iran, from Airbus planes to Total Oil Company to car makers Peugeot and Renault to food Company Danone and lots more.

Original interview in French:
    Iran : "Il est temps que l'Europe se dote des mêmes instruments que les Etats-Unis pour défendre ses intérêts économiques", selon Bruno Le Maire

Not an isolated case, other Spiegel articles linked in the same page (translated to English):
    On the same subject :

* Iranian nuclear: Macron implicitly accuses Trump of wanting to "decide" for Europeans
    * Iranian nuclear: companies investing in Iran fearing heavy US fines
    * Withdrawal of the Iranian nuclear deal: "The most serious decision taken by Donald Trump since he took office," said Thierry Breton
    and they are VERY pissed off by this picture, where "Daddy" Trump leads "child/infant" French President Macron as if he were a retarded child:

Oh well [2]

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Why would they?
    So far war crimes are being comitted by USA and UK, with the reluctant help of France and Germany.
    Juan, your anti-USA bias is showing again. We really are not the only bad guys in the world. Are you blaming us for the chemical warfare used in Syria or just denying that it ever happened?

I try to keep an open mind. The US has done some bad things throughout the world but we've also done some good things. Like paying to rebuild Germany and Japan after WWII through the Marshall Plan, etc. I have a friend who complains about that being a complete waste of our money but we did it in part to develop strong trade partners.

Steve A.

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 9/0
    Why would they?
    I really don't think striking military targets meets the requirements for a war crime by any stretch of the imagination.

Examples from Wikipedia "Examples of war crimes include intentionally killing civilians or prisoners, torture, destroying civilian property, taking hostages, perfidy, rape, using child soldiers, pillaging, declaring that no quarter will be given, and serious violations of the principles of distinction and proportionality, such as strategic bombing of civilian populations"

On the other hand there is no question whatsover that Assad and Putin have deliberately targeted civilians.

Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    Juan, your anti-USA bias is showing again. We really are not the only bad guys in the world. Are you blaming us for the chemical warfare used in Syria or just denying that it ever happened?
    Steve A.
    What anti US bias? Pure and simple *statistics*.
    Definitely not the only bad guys in the World, that´s for sure, but again definitely well ahead in the pack.

As of "chemical warfare" in Syria, it only "happens" in US backed rebel controlled areas , just when they are about to be over run, both staining Syrian Army victories and providing new excuses for US Army staying (illegally) there. Think about that.

By the way, UN inspectors are there and they "never find anything" , again think about that.

As a side note, and from a technical point of view, alleged Chlorine is the absolute WORST "war gas" ever, never used since 1915 because of that.
    Germans used in in the first ever Chemical attack in WW1 and it was a nightmare even for themselves, both ineffective against enemies and dangerous to own troops.

Assad would **at least** use Phosgene or Mustard Gas, which by the way was upplied by >>>USA<<< to >>>Saddam Hussein<<< in the 80´s to stop the Iranians, and which was later used by Saddam Hussein against the Kurds , go figure.
    It´s all in the History books by the way.

Useless Chlorine is often mentioned in such Propaganda operations because it´s easy to fake an attack, just store a few gallon containers of common household bleach in a building they expect to be bombed (such as rebel Headquarters, ammo storage, meeting points, whatever) and you´ll have a vaporized bleach cloud when hit.

Of course, bleach releases chlorine in contact with organic material, sterilizing it, that´s the common household use.

Even so, no chlorine or any War Chemical was found by Inspectors , but in any case as I mentioned before it´s useless as a Chemical weapon. .

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    I really don't think striking military targets meets the requirements for a war crime by any stretch of the imagination.

Examples from Wikipedia "Examples of war crimes include intentionally killing civilians or prisoners, torture, destroying civilian property, taking hostages, perfidy, rape, using child soldiers, pillaging, declaring that no quarter will be given, and serious violations of the principles of distinction and proportionality, such as strategic bombing of civilian populations"
    But strategic bombing of civilian population HAS be done by both USA and UK.
    In fact, in WW2, bombing civilians was *all* Britain did, they abandoned Military Target bombing because of heavy losses and concentrated on Civilian bombing.
    Hope you don´t consider historyleaning.uk a Putin shill
    https://www.historylearningsite.co.u...arthur-harris/

historylearningsite.co.uk. The History Learning Site, 20 Apr 2015. 13 May 2018.

Air Marshall Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris remains one of the most controversial military commanders of World War Two. Arthur Harris commanded Bomber Command and was a believer that the bombing of civilian targets, and as a result civilians, would shorten World War Two.
    As of USA, tell that to Afghan (just to mention an example) wedding parties routinely bombed, as well as bomb and gunship attacks against Hospitals.

Just a few samples:
    https://adst.org/2014/06/the-fog-of-...wedding-party/
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an.lukeharding
    https://www.thenation.com/article/us...-parties-2001/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1be8850e3297

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/afghans...ombed-27-dead/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haska_...arty_airstrike

But I understand your point of view, all you read is:
    The United States Government denied that civilians were killed in the incident.
    and of course you trust your Government, what else?
    BUT:
    An investigation by the Afghan Government disagreed and determined that 47 civilians, including the bride, had been killed.[1][2][3][4][5] .....
    Haska Meyna wedding party airstrike
    Date 6 July 2008
    Location Haska Meyna, Haska Meyna District, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan
    Result 47 civilians killed including 39 women and children and 8 teenagers, another nine wounded
    Summary of events

On July 6, 2008, a large number of Afghan civilians were walking in an area called Kamala in Haska Meyna district of the eastern province of Nangarhar.[6][7] When the group stopped for a rest, it was hit in succession by three bombs from United States military aircraft.[8] The first bomb hit a group of children who were ahead of the main procession, killing them instantly.[8] A few minutes later, the aircraft returned and dropped a second bomb in the center of the group, killing a large number of women.[8] The bride and two girls survived the second bomb, but were killed by a third bomb while trying to escape from the area.[8] Hajj Khan, one of four elderly men who were escorting the party, stated that his grandson was killed and that there were body parts everywhere.[8]
    On the other hand there is no question whatsover that Assad and Putin have deliberately targeted civilians.
    Really? Who? What for?
    Unless you call "civilians" USA backed and armed "democratic rebels" who are fighting Assad.
    But then, as Nick B mentioned, "attacking Military targets is NOT a war crime".
    I guess armed rebels attacking the Government *are* a military target.
    Quite the opposite of wedding guests, I suppose.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    What anti US bias? Pure and simple *statistics*.
    Definitely not the only bad guys in the World, that´s for sure, but again definitely well ahead in the pack.

As of "chemical warfare" in Syria, it only "happens" in US backed rebel controlled areas , just when they are about to be over run, both staining Syrian Army victories and providing new excuses for US Army staying (illegally) there. Think about that.
    It makes sense to me after all Assad is hardly going to attack areas they already control.

By the way, UN inspectors are there and they "never find anything" , again think about that.
    Well they were barred from the site so it's hardly surprising. They got shot at to stop them going there.

Assad would **at least** use Phosgene or Mustard Gas, which by the way was upplied by >>>USA<<< to >>>Saddam Hussein<<< in the 80´s to stop the Iranians, and which was later used by Saddam Hussein against the Kurds , go figure.
    It´s all in the History books by the way.
    Actually, no it isn't because that didn't happen.

Thumbs Up/Down
    The context was Syria. You are conflating the issue by bringing in other wars.

Really? Who? What for?
    You only need one example to disprove a case so here you go Airstrikes on Eastern Ghouta

The Syrian war started as a peaceful uprising and Assad, rather then relinquish power or work toward a solution he attacked them instead. He thought it would be an easy win.

The bottom line is this. All wars are very ugly and each participant acts in ways they perceive to be their best interest. Thus to talk about law in such a context is rather meaningless. It's the nature of the beast. There are no real winners.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 30/0
    The latest from "Disgusting Don".

I guess 500 million in his pocket is enough to rethink trade deals?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...nald-trump-zte

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/0
    Given: 32/0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The latest from "Disgusting Don". I guess 500 million in his pocket is enough to rethink trade deals?
    You can pay for a big boatload of prostitutes, oops I mean porn actresses, to keep their mouths shut with that kind of money.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Today's wake up news: North Korea threatens to snub summit. "If USA wants a nuclear free NK there's no point in having the meeting."

How how how did I know this was a setup, from the first second I heard about it. Rocket Boy knew what US policy was: give up your nuke program, in total. So it's not as if he didn't know that a couple weeks ago. I see this affair, or fizzled affair as it now appears to be, as just another in a string of NK provocations. So they released three prisoners. That's nice but doesn't matter a fly speck in comparison to terminating NK's bid to join the nuclear club.

One sort of good thing will result: not a snowball's chance in hell of TRUMPUS getting the Nobel Prize. Drat, I'll bet he was dreaming of that shiny bright pile of scandinavian cash. OTOH there must be some justification for an IgNobel prize. Stay tuned for further revolting developments.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Trumpus has spent all his time canceling everything Obama did.
    He would really like to cancel O's Nobel prize, but luckily, he can't do that!
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    T
    I'd like to see TRUMPUS receive the prize Alfred Nobel gave his brother. Without further delay. Maybe Rocket Boy will see to that.

Thumbs Up/Down

New tariffs on newsprint from Canada...

To continue the discussion on tariffs imposed by Trump & Co. there is now a tariff on newsprint made in Canada which has raised the costs of publishing newspapers substantially.

Editorial | Newsprint tariffs hit newspapers hard
    by John Diaz [San Francisco Chronicle 04/20/2018]

“Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,” the saying goes. Yet the Trump administration is picking a fight with American newspapers over something they buy at even greater cost and quantity: newsprint.
    • The administration recently slapped tariffs and anti-dumping penalties on imported Canadian paper, resulting in newsprint price increases of up to 30 percent in the United States. I will give President Trump the benefit of the doubt here and assume this is not another attack on the free press from the man who has called journalists “enemies of the American people” and has alternately threatened to jail them, revoke their credentials and use government powers to undermine their owners’ business interests.
    • I will take the administration at its word that it is merely trying to save American jobs at a paper mill that claims unfair foreign competition.
    • It’s an indefensible move even by that standard.

The Trump administration’s protectionist measures were taken in response to a trade complaint from a single company, Norpac, a Longview, Wash., paper mill that employs about 300 nonunion workers. Norpac, acquired in 2016 by the New York hedge fund One Rock Capital, alleged that its Canadian competitors benefited from 34 government subsidy programs, from cut-rate electricity to timber harvests on government-owned forests.
    • This dubious attempt to shield a few hundred paper-mill jobs from foreign competition is creating serious pain for a U.S. publishing industry that employs 600,000 workers.
    In telling testimony, Russ Lowder of White Birch Paper said his company’s closing of its Virginia mill had nothing to do with Canadian imports. Rather, he said the fate of the paper business was inextricably tied to the decline of the newspaper industry: subscriptions have dropped, and demand has followed.

He said White Birch had considered buying Norpac in 2016, before it was scooped up by a hedge fund, but concluded its “operations faced a number of challenges that had nothing to do with imports.”
    Fortunately there is a response from Congress to this new tariff which has been imposed but not yet finalized:

Responding to a chorus of such concerns, two Maine senators, Republican Susan Collins and independent Angus King, have introduced legislation (S2835) to suspend the tariffs on uncoated groundwater paper from Canada, the primary source of newsprint. It would require the Commerce Department to undertake a study of the economic state of both the newsprint industry and the local newspaper publishing industry before determining whether the tariffs actually are in the national interest.
    • “Throughout Maine, small-town newspapers remain a principal source of information for people looking to read the news, learn about the goings-on in their communities and stay up to date on current events,” King said. He noted that the U.S. newspaper business and paper manufacturers are “already operating on razor-thin margins.”
    These executive branch "shoot from the hip" orders and rulings are good specifically for the vested interests who benefit from them but often terrible for the rest of the country. People complain about the sluggish progress of Congressional studies and it is often used as a tactic to bury uncomfortable issues but I would venture to guess that the best decisions made by the legislative and executive branches have been made after conducting thorough studies involving all concerned parties. "Measure twice, cut once."

I have attached a PDF file of the editorial:

Newsprint tariffs hit newspapers hard - San Francisco Chronicle.pdf

Steve A.

Last edited by Steve A.; 05-20-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    T
    Well, if Trump receives the Nobel Peace prize that he says he deserves it would certainly devalue all of the peace prizes given previously. I do believe that Obama's prize was issued prematurely as he had just taken office although he was intent on winding down the wars started by Bush and Cheney.
    Speaking of Obama I think that he should have never drawn that line in the sand regarding chemical warfare in Syria unless he was prepared to back it up (I think that he assumed that Assad would never cross that line.) IMO that was a tactical error that came around and bit Obama and the Democratics in the butt suggesting that they were wimps...

Note: I have formally declared that I am no longer a Democrat although like Bernie I do caucus with them as their goals are closer to my own than those of the GOP.

Steve A.

Last edited by Steve A.; 05-20-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well, Assad never crossed that line
    All so called "incidents" lacked proof and just were excuses for US attacks, specially bombings .
    The last team of "UN observers" has been there for , what? ... a Month now? ... and have found nothing yet.

As of the list of winners, most are fine or at least "oh well, who cares", but a few were quite "WTF????" , including Obama, who among other things bombed Lybia into rubble and destroyed it as a viable Country.

And ..... ***Kissinger?*** , Royal WTF here.

he signed peace with Vietnam only because USA was kicked out of there, while at office he did everything to destroy it, including all of heavy bombing campaigns (Linebacker I, II, etc).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II

http://content.time.com/time/special...096386,00.html

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    To continue the discussion on tariffs imposed by Trump & Co. there is now a tariff on newsprint made in Canada which has raised the costs of publishing newspapers substantially.
    By Chumpian "logic" that's a good thing, because those newspapers are owned and operated by commie pinko bedwetters who support liberal progressive ideas. And science. So the faster he can wipe them out, the better. Never mind that the whole news PAPER industry is on its last legs. In another 10 years everybody and I mean everybody will be reading their news, or more likely having news read to them on their smartypants phones. Paper newspapers will be obsolete, period.

As for the Nobel Prize, not a chance in hell. OK I miscalled the US election. But those who decide the Nobel aren't US voters nor electoral college. I say, award TRUMPUS an IgNobel prize. He wouldn't know the difference, until he doesn't receive the cash. Heck pay him off in gold foil wrapped chocolate coins, that oughta keep him happy.

Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 05-21-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    This cartoon was in our Demo-zette paper, Sunday Wipe!
    Seems to be his objective.

http://www.henrypayne.com/wp-content...bama_COLOR.jpg
    T

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Never mind that the whole news PAPER industry is on its last legs. In another 10 years everybody and I mean everybody will be reading their news, or more likely having news read to them on their smartypants phones. Paper newspapers will be obsolete, period.
    I have digital subscriptions with 3 newspapers right now (I used to have digital subscriptions with the NY Times, The New Yorker and WSJ but had to drop them.)

For the two local papers I have Sunday only delivery plus 24/7 digital access for about 50 cents a week (I think that they essentially give away the Sunday papers because it increases their total circulation upon which their advertising rates are based.)

Most of the major newspapers now have "paywalls" with a limited number (if any at all) of free article views each month. Digital subscriptions to a wide selection of papers can get very expensive so hopefully they will eventually be bundled like channels and networks on TV Cable (another dinosaur which will eventually become extinct in the digital age.)

Newspapers were once printed with handset type which eventually became extinct. I think that the transition from printed newspapers to digital access will be less drastic than that as the copy is already in digital format.

Our founding fathers talked a lot about a free press, which refers more to the content than the delivery media. Without the material from the major newspapers and magazines the bundlers like Yahoo News would have no content. Long live the New York Times and the Washington Post!

Steve A.

P.S. As for limited access paywalls one workaround is to use an incognito browser or browser tab... each time you close it you start over with the full monthly limit. VPNs masking your IP should work, too. Unfortunately some papers allow for no free article views so those tricks won't work.

P.P.S. For my 2 local papers I download them in PDF and epub format so that I can read them off-line, which works much better for me than the user interface of on-line editions. I copy each days paper to Dropbox from where I can download it on any of my devices.

Thread Information