Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 500K vol pot, but B pup w/250K for ex.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 500K vol pot, but B pup w/250K for ex.

The idea is basically to run 1 500K pot and use resistors at the switch to get the values I want.

What resistor values do I need to get a few increments between 500 and 250?
    Last edited by socalscott; 09-05-2007, 01:26 AM.

You don't want caps... you want resistors. Pots are resistors, so a 250K pots is shorting 250 kilohm (250,000 ohms) to ground.

There's probably a lot of values between 250,000 and 500,000, and you can out two in series to change the value.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by socalscott View Post
      The idea is basically to run 1 500K pot and use resistors at the switch to get the values I want.

What resistor values do I need to get a few increments between 500 and 250?
      To calculate the values I use Windows Calculator, with a variation of the following formula

1/x + 1/y = 1/z

I.e., I add or subtract the reciprocals and then take the reciprocal of that...

HTH

Steve Ahola
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Steve's formula is how you do it. But I really don't think there is enough difference between 250k and 500k to bother. Usually one OR the other will suffice. If you really want to see this, just get a 500k pull switch pot and bridge a 470k resistor across the outside legs via the switch. wire this as your volume pot. Plug in and listen. I think you'll find that there is only enough audible difference between these values to make the choice worthwhile. Going in between is really an exercise in minutia. Not to mention that the adjustment resistors will mess with the chosen pots taper.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          But I really don't think there is enough difference between 250k and 500k to bother.
          I agree. I'd use a 1M pot and then try 100K, 250K and 500K resistors for starters.

100K would give a darker tone than the usual 250K pot. You can also try some small value caps, like .005 mf, .01 mf, etc. They will take the very top end off and give a nice resonant hump.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X