Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
    Will you explain why?
    The wiper is "floating" therefore the resistance does not change. Connect the wiper to one "end" of the pot.

Comment

This one is wired the same way I recall doing it in the past.
      That means nothing to us, just redraw the actual circuit you wired, looking at it.
      And a closeup picture showing the bias pot/trimmer would be fine.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Goofy way to draw a potentiometer.

No wonder the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post

No wonder the confusion.
          Almost like the old Fender schematics where the wiper was drawn diagonally across the resistor.

Check the values of the two "56K" they look like 5K6 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            That means nothing to us, just redraw the actual circuit you wired, looking at it.
            And a closeup picture showing the bias pot/trimmer would be fine.
            See post #11 Juan. The drawing of this circuit is identical to the way I have wired it in the past, with the exception of the pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bias Supply JTM30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	839685Click image for larger version

Name:	Ervin's Bias Supply.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	839686Click image for larger version

Name:	Bias JTM30.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	839681

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post

No wonder the confusion.

This is a 3 terminal potentiometer and I thought sure I had represented the correct schematic symbol. You do know I'm a hack, don't you? Symbols fixed in all drawings and schematics

Name:	Potentiometer.png
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	839680

The pot is a three terminal Bourns 3299Y-1-503LF (datasheet attached) and one end of the pot was left unused. I have since connected the wiper to the unused end and and still unable to adjust bias with the pot. Here is how I did it.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Tone Meister; 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
              Almost like the old Fender schematics where the wiper was drawn diagonally across the resistor.

Check the values of the two "56K" they look like 5K6 to me.
              Alright den. Point taken on the erroneous schematic symbol.

Bill, the resistors measure 56K. Here's a closeup.

Name:	56K.jpg
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	839683

Comment

Hey, resistor with an arrow drawn across has always meant variable resistor to me.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Hey, resistor with an arrow drawn across has always meant variable resistor to me.
                  Same here, but on this schematic the way the arrow was drawn means "wiper contact".

As of the pot wiring, as the British say : "the proof of the pudding lies in the eating" : measure resistance across those white wires and turn the setting screw end to end : the resistance either varies from 0 to 50k or not. (I suspect the latter) .
                  If not, maybe the pot was damaged with rough handling, replace it with a good one.

And next time, avoid using this screwdriver to adjust it:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Same here, but on this schematic the way the arrow was drawn means "wiper contact".

As of the pot wiring, as the British say : "the proof of the pudding lies in the eating" : measure resistance across those white wires and turn the setting screw end to end : the resistance either varies from 0 to 50k or not. (I suspect the latter). "Don't suspect without investigating." - JMF http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40431/

If not, maybe the pot was damaged with rough handling, replace it with a good one.
                    Schematic symbols fixed on all documents in this thread. Because this pot has three terminals, I mistakenly thought I was using the correct symbol, based on this information.

Schematic Symbol

With the pot out of the circuit, the resistance DOES vary from 0 to 50K when I measure resistance across those white wires and turn the setting screw end to end. I could replace the pot since it could be damaged, but the only thing I knew to check was the resistance the way you described and it checks out in isolation.

Side Note: There is not one of you I can't strike out with a 90+ mph fastball

Comment

Side Note: There is not one of you I can't strike out with a 90+ mph fastball
                      I remember a kid in school who used to say he could kick my ass on skates .

Now that it's back wired up, measure resistance across R132 with pot set to either end.
                      Last edited by g1; 09-29-2015, 09:25 PM.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        I remember a kid in school who used to say he could kick my ass on skates .
                        Now that it's back wired up, measure resistance across R132 with pot set to either end.
                        I thought everyone here knew I'm a novice when it comes to circuits. A simple notation mistake turned into cauliflower ear.

R132 = 61.5K

Comment

As drawn, the pot just presents a variable load to the bias supply. The pickoff point for the junction of R105 and R106 needs to be inside the resistor/pot string.

Comment

R132 = 61.5K
                            Measure with pot set to min. and again with pot set to max.
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
                              As drawn, the pot just presents a variable load to the bias supply. The pickoff point for the junction of R105 and R106 needs to be inside the resistor/pot string.
                              Weird as it seems, for bias supplies the tried and true method is using the pot as a variable load.
                              Probably because it's fail safe: if pote opens or wiper contact is dirty, bias becomes maximum voltage and tube cools (in every meaning of the word ) while the conventional way it leaves tubes unbiased , so red hot or worse.

That said, *some* amps wire bias the conventional way as you suggest.
                              But then they often add a fixed resistor in parallel.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
                                I've tried to go back and find the exact pot I used before, but I am sure that when I did this mod myself that all I did was remove those 3 zeners and replace them with the 56K>50Kp>50K resistor string using the holes left by the zener diodes, nothing more. I need a solution. Is this Bourns pot the wrong part for the job at hand, or is it just wired into the circuit incorrectly in your estimation?

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                                Measure with pot set to min. and again with pot set to max.
                                Will do this afternoon when I can get back to that amp.

Weird as it seems, for bias supplies the tried and true method is using the pot as a variable load.
                                Probably because it's fail safe: if pote opens or wiper contact is dirty, bias becomes maximum voltage and tube cools (in every meaning of the word ) while the conventional way it leaves tubes unbiased , so red hot or worse.

That said, *some* amps wire bias the conventional way as you suggest.
                                But then they often add a fixed resistor in parallel.
                                Same question as I asked Timmy: I need a solution. Is this Bourns pot the wrong part for the job at hand, or is it just wired into the circuit incorrectly in your estimation?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X