1965 Precision rewind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Precision rewind

This one came in with both coils dead. Someone tried to add lead wires and created a mess before bringing it to me. Before it goes under the knife I was wondering if anyone has any specs for a 65 Precision? It looks like HF and measures as such with a mic but it might be poly - not sure. I could wind it back to the lacquer line but I thought I would ask if anyone knows the DCR. I also thought the pics might be interesting to post. The coil shapes look different between the two.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	869972Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6054.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	869973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6059.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	869974

Vintage Original PRE CBS Fender Precision Bass Pickup 1965 Grey Bobbin | eBay

Vintage Original PRE CBS Fender Precision Bass Pickup 1965 Grey Bobbin | eBay
    Take some spec's would you
    Please let me know the turns per layer,bobbin height inside .
    I would wind them about 10.8k
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

The old standard specs is 10,000 turns per bobbin.
      Some guys wind them up or down 5-10 percent.
      Last ones I did were -5%, and came out 5.3k per bobbin.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

It does look like HFV but it could just as easily be PE. I doubt it matters too much as long as you get the 10000 turns on each coil.

Comment

Interesting coincidence. I just got a 1966 Jazz bass pickup in with the same winding wire. I had to unwrap a couple winds to repair the break.

Anyway, I have an ancient spool of Atlas wire that is an exact match. The label states it is a natural heavy poly insulation. My latest batch of Elektrasola Formvar is close enough in thickness to use as a replacement. Almost exact. The hue of the color is slightly different, but most people tend to look for the extremes in that.

1964-1968n is a whacky time at that factory. They were working on making stuff more universal, ditching wax potting (which was basically only used on Formvar in the Pre-CBS days), moving toward using plain enamel across the board. I suspect they used Poly and natural plain enamels at times in this era. Eventually they just used dark colored plain enamel and lacquer potting on everything.
          Last edited by Jim Shine; 10-07-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

thanks for chiming in guys. Much appreciated. Looks like the coil space is .250 inches and the magnet height is .535. The Gauss is reading about 860 on my machine. 85 TPL.

Here's a question, both bobbins are reading north up and both are wound clockwise - if you're looking down at the tops. Can someone please confirm if that is typical? Also, these should be wired in parallel or series?

Comment

All the old fender Split Ps I've worked on were RWRP.
              Bass Coil South up, Wound CW, Treble coil north up, Wound CCW.
              Wired like this rough Drawing, wired in series, viewed from the top.
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...1-p1010086.jpg
              They can be wired differently, but that is the scheme of the ones I've worked on, wired stock from fender with the brass ground plate.
              Last edited by big_teee; 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X