Torres Engineering - Does it exist??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torres Engineering - Does it exist??

Hello all. Apologies if this this in the wrong section. If it needs to be moved please do so or let me know where to repost it.

I'm wondering if anyone has dealing with Torres Engineering. I ordered his Tube Amp DVD and some pots on Aug 25th and haven't heard a thing from them since. They've taken my money, but no shipping info, tracking numbers, or any sign of life at all. I've emailed several times with no reply.

From what I can find online this sounds like a common problem. I wish I had found that first and I probably wouldn't have ordered anything.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out if I'll ever see my order, or if I was just screwed out of some money

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

James

Yelp says they are closed. I delt with them a few times with no issues but it's been a few years. They occasionally had some obscure parts. But they also had a rather dubious reputation for their shop and especially their mod kits. Their phone number is: 650-953-2200.

Comment

How did you send them money? If it was credit card or paypal, you can contact those people and have the order cancelled. If you sent a check, have your bank put a stop on it. If it was cashed, ask them who cashed it. If you mailed a money order, ask the issuer if there is a way to cancel unclaimed money orders.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

His last post on Facebook was January, 2015.

I do know that he had some issues with surgery a while back.

Comment

What kind of money are we talking about?
          I guess around U$50 .
          And that, IF they actually "took" it, afaik it might still be floating around in the netherworld, unclaimed.

And no, this is not the proper section, which is about servicing stuff and Technical problems, clearly not the case.

Try "Lobby" or something.

Although I fail to understand how you, armed with his Email and phone, having paid (who/where/how/when?) cannot find him while expecting "we" , completely unrelated, can.
          Oh well, shades of TGP .
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

You're right. This is not a post about servicing an amp. However most of what Torres sells is parts, kits, etc for amp service, mods, and builds. It stands to reason that people in this forum would have experience dealing with them, much like you could ask the guitar tech forum about experience with Stew Mac and All Parts, or the pickup makers forum about experience with Mojotone or AdditionFX. There are some helpful answers in this thread already, so thank you for that

It was paypal. I think I've used it about 3-4 times in my life so I don't know all the ins and outs of how it works. To me, if I make an order, receive an email saying it was received, and see the payment on my credit card bill, that means it was paid. But it's good to know that money may be floating around somewhere still.

And no, I wasn't expecting someone to give me his personal email or cell phone number or anything like that. Just looking for experience. Maybe someone would chime in and say the orders always take a long time but always show up. Fine. I'm in no rush to see it. Or maybe someone will confirm that they are closed and I should look into getting the money back. That's fine too.

Comment

PayPal allow 60 days to get your refund so better get to it!

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/he...tionId=FAQ2393
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it - I received my USPS tracking number for the package today. 7 weeks to the day from when I placed the order. It probably wouldn't have felt so long if there was someone on the other end to talk to and let me know what's going on. I don't think that's asking too much of any business. Talk to your customers. It's not that hard.

Thanks again to everyone who took time to reply here. Hopefully this thread will be useful for the next person that places an order with Torres and starts to wonder when/if their product will ever show up

James

Comment

WIth all due respect Juan, you do tend to jump to the offensive at times. Perhaps a little less time spent on TGP would do you some good
                  ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Hello,
                    Yeah Juan, you should stick to something like marriage counselling !!!

Comment

I did not jump with any kind of offensive reaction but quite the contrary, saw it as an offensive post, attacking who was mentioned here as having health problems, on the level of surgery, none less, and who can't obviously defend himself.
                      THAT is offensive.

Again, a $50 level problem?
                      And to boot, the package arrived, didn't it?

Oh !!!!! the problem was not getting a personal answer?

Ok, next time buy from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend.

They certainly are large enough to have some people *just* to deal with customers , 24/7 .
                      Just curious ... did you ask them anything? ... anytime?

As of Torres, I guess the Customer relations Dept consists of him and maybe his wife, same as the Purchasing dept, the Marketing dept., the Engineering dept. , the scrub-the-floor dept. ..... and all others.

There must be some reason you bought there and nowhere else, maybe availability, price, or both.

Ok, there's a whole wide World out there.

As of expecting people here being Torres customers, well, maybe there's one , why not? , but Tech forumites generally suggest the Big Ones, such as Mouser , Digikey etc. or buying straight from manufacturer, I don't usually see people here being directed to amateur oriented sites.

As of marriage counseling, maybe I should, why waste time decoding schematics, downloading datasheets, or searching for stuff which clearly lazy posters didn't care to?

Maybe you gave me a great idea.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I want to stay on Juan's good side!
                        For me, not against me!
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

You live and you learn... I have several people that I have ordered capacitors, bias probes and other items directly by email, via paypal. I send them an email and in a matter of, usually, less than an hour or so I have a reply. Follow ups to the order are sent within a day and the item is in my hands in about 3 days. I took a chance on these guys and their home brew type operations, I got lucky. Not only lucky, but I felt that there are still really good honest people in the world. Point is to not let one bad occurrence stop you from finding these small sellers of parts. It's a gamble that was worth taking for me.
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

You guys better quit poking the bear,
                            or you're going to find out...

he's just a big teddy bear .
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	fed85aa2f32654a81fb6f6506dbf9760.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	839835
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Foot in mouth... Thanks for raising the unseen side of things, Juan!

Juan might be a better marriage counselor than we think...

And might part of this be our spoiling? We've become way too accustomed to instant gratification, and at times I've let things fall through the cracks... to get grace one must first learn to give it.

Justin
                              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                              X