Open box Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open box Laptops

I've been looking for another deal on Laptops.
    My YL, and I have 3, but the HP, has always had touchpad issues.
    I want to get #4 so I can work on the #3 HP model.
    Worst, I mean Best Buy has some deals on Open box models.
    Looking at a Lenovo G50.
    Anyone got any Open box buying experience?
    Lenovo G50 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i3 4GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black G50 - 80L000ALUS - Best Buy
    That is the regular model, the OB is about $20 or so cheaper.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Open box can be AOK and thats a decent price for the i3 model of the G50 but the fine print reads that opened box items MAY have required repair and would this be more akin to a refurbished product. I don't know if the item would say "repaired" on it when it arrived. The warranty is the same for new or open box, but getting any warranty service from China based PC Mfg is a nightmare in my experience so its best to go with the better inexpensive brands like Asus, Acer and possibly Lenovo.

Comment

I've had good luck with the Lenovo's.
      Lenovo is the old line of IBM think pads.
      After researching the G50?
      I think I will go and buy the new one in town for the $338 price.
      It comes with win8.1, I plan on putting Xubuntu, or Mint XFCE on it.
      The last two laptops I bought I wiped the HDs and put Linux on them.
      I may try to dual boot win8 with Linux this time.
      I usually lose my patience with windows and blow it off the Hard drive.
      If I buy the G50 I'll let you know how it turns out.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 11-10-2015, 03:07 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Id be very tempted to lose the DVD and add an EVO 850 SSD as the C: drive, these laptops have USB 3.0 and once you have a couple of good 32Gb USB 3.0 flash drives like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147452
        you'll seldom if ever use your optical drive.

Here's a decent DVD swap out
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTiTi7kphK0
        for anyone not as savy as you BT

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I've had good luck with the Lenovo's.
          Lenovo is the old line of IBM think pads.
          After researching the G50?
          I think I will go and buy the new one in town for the $338 price.
          It comes with win8.1, I plan on putting Xubuntu, or Mint XFCE on it.
          The last two laptops I bought I wiped the HDs and put Linux on them.
          I may try to dual boot win8 with Linux this time.
          I usually lose my patience with windows and blow it off the Hard drive.
          If I buy the G50 I'll let you know how it turns out.
          T
          Hi T,

May I suggest a refurbished Thinkpad?

I just bought refurb T430 from newegg last week. It was a killer deal for $320 the and the Linux support is great; it "just works".

Refurbished: ThinkPad Laptop T430 Intel Core i5 2.60 GHz 8 GB Memory 500 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 14.1" Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - Newegg.com

The one I bought is out of stock, but they come and go all the time, and there should be lots of others. Newegg resells them from private refurb companies who buy them in bulk from offices when they go out of support. I will probably not ever pay for a new laptop as long as this strategy keeps working.

Also, Thinkpads (at least the older ones) are really easy to service and upgrade. I have replaced screens, memory, disks, heatsinks, keyboards, batteries, power adapters, cd drives, basically everything. You can get working used pulled parts for all of it on ebay, and they don't solder everything to the motherboard like on other laptops. Also, there are lots of expansion ports. My 430 has 8GB of ram, 2 ssds, a hard drive, a dvd drive, a docking station conencted to two monitors, and an external GPU in a home made ViDock. Try that with MacBook Air!

I don't think the newer/non-Thinkpad Lenovos are as strudy or flexible as the old Thinkpads though, so I would encourage you to get a Thinkpad over the G50. Also, I don't think $330 is that much of a discount over a new G50; they're kind of just regular low end consumer laptops, and they don't cost that much new from what I can see....
          Last edited by elipsey; 11-10-2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I always here about the big one that got away!
            The $338 is for a new in the box G50 machine.
            New with a new battery, no dings or scratches.
            I don't need most of the parts you mentioned.
            This comes with a 1TB drive, Optical drive and is a brushed aluminum case.
            I will probably put another 4gb of ram in it.
            That will do everything I need.
            It will replace this C55 Toshiba here on my Desk.
            I will give the Toshiba to the wife and retire the trubble making HP, with the defective mouse pad.
            I mainly just web surf on a linux box, Download lots of Linux Distros, and some document making and printing.
            Thanks,
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
              Id be very tempted to lose the DVD and add an EVO 850 SSD as the C: drive, these laptops have USB 3.0 and once you have a couple of good 32Gb USB 3.0 flash drives like these SAMSUNG 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model MUF-32BA/AM - Newegg.com
              you'll seldom if ever use your optical drive.

Here's a decent DVD swap out
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTiTi7kphK0
              for anyone not as savy as you BT
              Thanks for sharing, I'm not that Savy, and most of my Computer knowledge is pretty old fashioned.
              Thanks,
              T
              Terry

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I always here about the big one that got away!
                The $338 is for a new in the box G50 machine.
                New with a new battery, no dings or scratches.
                I don't need most of the parts you mentioned.
                This comes with a 1TB drive, Optical drive and is a brushed aluminum case.
                I will probably put another 4gb of ram in it.
                That will do everything I need.
                It will replace this C55 Toshiba here on my Desk.
                I will give the Toshiba to the wife and retire the trubble making HP, with the defective mouse pad.
                I mainly just web surf on a linux box, Download lots of Linux Distros, and some document making and printing.
                Thanks,
                T
                Just to be clear, it didn't get away! Newegg has 20 more companies selling refurb T430s, and that's just one model. They were $1300 new in the box a year ago or two ago, but they are certainly used now. Anyway, you don't have to put all that stuff in it, I just prefer to own things I can fix. But it's also a matter of taste, and maybe you don't want a 2 year old computer with someone else's coffee already spilled in it. Cheers

Comment

Thanks, I get it!
                  I like the 15.6" screens, the new battery, & 1TB drive is appealing.
                  I haven't made a decision yet I may make another trip to BB, tomorrow.
                  I've never had much luck with used gear.
                  The open box BB items are supposed to be protected by their Geek Squad.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Think I'm going to buy a refurb Lenovo T520.
                    I will let you know how it is after I get it.
                    It has a 15.6" screen, and all the features I want.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 11-11-2015, 11:09 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

I scratched the T520 ThinkPad because of the short keyboards.
                      I prefer the longer keyboard with number pad, I'm used to where the keys are.
                      Want it to be similar to the other two laptops I use.
                      So I'm still looking at cheap laptops.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

I think that would be a fine choice if you didn't need the numpad. Personally, I think they are more ergonomic without it; the typing position is more centered with respect to the screen. Would your usage habits allow an external numpad or keyboard? Conside also, that Thinkpads can use docking stations, and the the older docks are available cheaply. Could you use a keyboard/monitor with the dock, and live without the numpad when you're not at your desk? This is my setup, just something to consider...

Comment

I scratched the T520 ThinkPad because of the short keyboards.
                          I prefer the longer keyboard with number pad, I'm used to where the keys are.
                          Want it to be similar to the other two laptops I use.
                          So I'm still looking at cheap laptops.
                          T
                          ThinkPad E555 | 20DFX009US | Lenovo Outlet (US)

some decent deals to be had in refurbs,

E555 has big keyboard...

do make sure your Lenovo doesn't come with SUPERFISH!
                          Last edited by tedmich; 11-13-2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

I kind of feel like the Edge line aren't "real" thinkpads. Like they don't have the screen latch, the dock port, and I'm not sure about the metal chassis... maybe they are half the price of the T and X series for a reason...

Comment

I guess it's too close to christmas, haven't found a real deal.
                              I should have bought one, back in late summer, early fall, that is usually the best time to find a deal, seems like!
                              The good news, my bride & I have 3 laptops, so I can take my time shopping.
                              T
                              ** What is superfish?
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X