Replacement speakers poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement speakers poll

Greetings. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions in regards to good replacement speakers for my 2x12 combo tube amp. IM looking to get the clean fender twin sound at a low volume. Thanks for any help here. shootingstarno wa state

I believe the current Twins use Jensen C12K. They have many models of speakers in different wattage ratings and choice of Alnico or ceramic magnets, they all have a similar tone but some a little more high end others a little more bass. What amp do you have and what speakers are in there and what do they lack that you seek? Are you looking for a less efficient speaker so you are not playing with the volume barely above zero? Jensen and Eminence both have audio demonstrations on their websites and their staff may also have recommendations, you should be able to find an email link on their sites.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      I believe the current Twins use Jensen C12K. They have many models of speakers in different wattage ratings and choice of Alnico or ceramic magnets, they all have a similar tone but some a little more high end others a little more bass. What amp do you have and what speakers are in there and what do they lack that you seek? Are you looking for a less efficient speaker so you are not playing with the volume barely above zero? Jensen and Eminence both have audio demonstrations on their websites and their staff may also have recommendations, you should be able to find an email link on their sites.
      I have a Bugera 2x12 combo class a amp. Speakers at 8ohms, 80watts, wired in series. I have an impediance switch so I have the option to try new speakers. I want a clean fender twin sound at low volume. I thought someone may know whether if I lower both the power watts and impediance of the speakers I would get a cleaner sound. Presently is damped and muffled, maybe good for blues but I play more fifties pop. I didnt consider the speaker efficientcy rating. Should I also look to get the highest spl or a lower one. Heard once 16ohm speakers sound more treblely, I though it was opposite. I cant run 16ohm speakers because my switch doesnt have a 32ohm setting.I bet its because I dont have parallel wiring, that probably better right. Will I ever get a good tube amp has become my saying.Blessings for any help.

Comment

I'm guessing you would like a less efficient speaker as many amps don't sound that good at extremely low volume, often damped and muffled like you described. I don't know if its feasible but a treble bypass added to the volume control on your amp may help, this is what the bright switch does. If you wire two speakers in parallel you halve the impedance of the individual speaker, in series the impedance doubles. I haven't done any real comparison as far as any sonic differences of the wiring, or of 16 vs. 8 vs 4 ohm speakers, looking at the Jensen site, the frequency plots show very slightly more treble with the 16 ohm.

https://www.jensentone.com/vintage_ceramic

I will say that speakers are a very effective way to tailor your sound. They can help with those subtle differences that my put the finishing touch on your tone. Experimenting can get expensive though. The lower wattage Jensen speakers are much less efficient than the higher wattage ones, will you never turn your amp up past their capabilities?

Comment

What model is the amp? The amp may not have been designed to sound like a Fender, so swapping speakers may not be

You can't really make a blanket statement about speaker impedance - 16 ohm speakers don't sound "more trebley" in every example. It may be true for one model of speaker that's available in 8 and 16 ohms, but might be the opposite for another model. All that matters is that the speaker load matches what the amp wants to see.

Comment

If your Bugera is a "distortion" model, 2 switchable channels, it's as different from a Black/Silverface Fender as can be.

Speakers do change sound , big way, but they mainly change *EQ* , not cleanliness which if not there, they can't pull out of the blue.

"Distortion" amps often have built in treble cut to take some of the edge out, to be less fizzy ... of course that kills twang too.
            That would explain the "mud" you hear.
            FWIW Peavey Classic also does something similar, so some praise its "smoothness" , others dislike its darkness, same thing under different optics.

That said, the typical Bugera speaker is some Jensen version and already as Fendery as you can get.

Old Bugera speakers were typically Italian made MOD 1270 , *very* close to a Jensen C12N ... the quintessential "Twin speaker" .
            Newer ones apparently are made in China in house, but *scream* of Jensen, at least the typical frames (so most probably everything else) ; I guess they either financed SICA to set up a Chinese plant (quite possible) or plain bought all dies and blueprints, maybe paying a small royalty.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X