Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singlecoil vs humbucker # of rounds

Hello all,
    I'm planning to make a split coil jazz bass pickup. When singlecoil jazz bass pickup has around 9500 rounds of 42AWG what amount of rounds should I aim for in split coil version? I'm looking for something to start with, not your secret recipe for the Gral of Sound.
    Marko

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm planning to make a split coil jazz bass pickup. When singlecoil jazz bass pickup has around 9500 rounds of 42AWG what amount of rounds should I aim for in split coil version? I'm looking for something to start with, not your secret recipe for the Gral of Sound.
    Marko
    A good starting point is the recipe for the Precision Bass' split-coil design of 10,000 turns-per-bobbin.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Can you give us your bobbin dimensions?
      That will determine how many turns you can put on the coils.
      When you split the coil into two pieces?
      You are limited to the amount of turns you can put onto the adjoining ends, in the center of the pickup.
      T
      **If you look at this drawing, you can see how short the ends will be, when you cut the bobbin in half in the middle of the pickup.
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-cont...06/SJB-12b.pdf
      Last edited by big_teee; 01-30-2016, 03:46 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I know it gets tight in the middle. I may just wind the coils as full as possible and take a listen to the pickup. I plan on winding with 43 wire to get more rounds. Tomorrow I'll know more as I'm planning to wind two coils in the morning.

Comment

You may want to try the large single magnet split coils.
          I did a project on that last year.
          I did 10,000 turns of 43.
          All the specs are there, and it worked great!
          http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39825/#post390633
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

The 43awg should definitely get you past the 10k mark. Tradition rear pickup mag spacing was .78" with .275" pair spacing. If your mags are .78" tall (20mm) and .1875 dia you can get 10k of 42SPN on if you use the 1/16" thick flatwork instead of 3/32".
            Where you really run into trouble is with .750" tall x 5mm magnets with 3/32" flatwork and .550" tall coils that have .725" spacing for the bridge position. If you like to wind with HPN it gets even worse. I use .850 x .187" mags and I have the pairs almost touching. That way I can easily get all the wire i could ever want on there and have some magnet sticking up flush with the top of the cover.

Comment

10000 rounds of 43 AWG fitted just fine. I have the poles slanted like on Nordstrand pickups. I have a small cnc router at work so making bobbins is a lot easier now. I have to know how CAD and CAM work before teaching that to kids, right
              I'm mounting these coils to Bartolini BC covers, next I have to drill or route the holes for the polepieces on the covers, then I'm ready for assembling the pickups and testing them.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	840872

And covers drilled. I really love the accuracy cnc gives. I drilled the covers by usin base plates as templates on a pin guided drill jig. I used one magnet rod as pin. Everything just snaps together.
              As for sound I taped the pickup on my bass using legos as shims and I have to say that I like the sound so far. I have to rout my testbed bass for these pickups for further testing.

Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	840873

Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	840874
              Last edited by Marko Ursin; 01-31-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
                10000 rounds of 43 AWG fitted just fine.
                See? Told ya!
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Hi Marco, can you be SO nice to tell us where you buy those so "sought after" covers?

I've done some of those kind of pickups already, (I've also a cnc as well )...Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_9731.jpg
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	840880Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_9783.jpg
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	840881

but the bart like covers are actually difficoult to find in small quantity...

Thanks.
                  Last edited by massimomb; 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Christoph at Bassculture.de has these covers. I've bought mine from him.

Comment

Thanks a lot, i'll try with him.
                      Actually i'm building an 8 coils on a MM cover, I'll post the pictures soon.

M.

Comment

Working...
                      X