Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Standard Strat 20th anniversary model wood question

Hey All,

I picked up a Squier standard strat at a pawn yesterday and although the body has dents the neck is super nice and the guitar body wood I am not sure of Can anyone look at these pictures and say what they think the body wood is?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	870342Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5372.JPG
Size:	673.3 KB
ID:	870343Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5373.JPG
Size:	608.7 KB
ID:	870344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	870345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5376.JPG
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	870346

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    Hey All,

I picked up a Squier standard strat at a pawn yesterday and although the body has dents the neck is super nice and the guitar body wood I am not sure of Can anyone look at these pictures and say what they think the body wood is?[ATTACH=CONFIG]37798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37801[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37802[/ATTACH]
    Where was it made? This link say alder or agathis(tropical pine)
    FDP - Forum
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Its kind of heavy. I just sold off a metallic red one from 2004 and I think it was alder but I'm not one who can tell what wood differences look like unless its basswood or poplar.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
        Its kind of heavy. I just sold off a metallic red one from 2004 and I think it was alder but I'm not one who can tell what wood differences look like unless its basswood or poplar.
        Raw alder has a slight reddish brown tint
        jason
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Hello,
          Take off the back cover, and maybe the pick guard. There is probably no way to tell as it will have the thick poly finish.

Comment

From what I found on line (so add salt liberally) if it's made in China it's alder. If it's made in Indonesia it's agathis. And everyone seems to like the tone of both woods.

It looks like alder to me. But I'm not familiar with agathis. Maybe agathis looks like alder? Not surprising it's a little heavy. I would expect the preferred lighter bodies to find their way into upper end instruments. Though I know this isn't always the case.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The second to the last picture shows in inside of the tremolo cavity so its solid wood, same as the top. I'm thinking alder but I'm just not sure...

Comment

to me it has the look of the "poor man's mahogany" agathis

Comment

Working...
                X