Kurzweil PC2 engine board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurzweil PC2 engine board

Hello Kurzweil PC2 owners, I have a big problem, there is a loud hiss sound when I turn it on and you can hear it also on the headphones. I took it to the kurzweil dealer here in the Philippines and they told me I need an engine board. They call young chang in Korea and they don't sell it anymore because it's been phase out.. So is there anybody out there who has it and will sell it? I tried ebay and there's none. They have one but for PC88 but Kurzweil people told me they are not compatible. I hate to give up this keyboard because I really like it especially the hammond organ patches.

Thank you guys for your support.

btw, i found it here but it's in Euro and it's very expensive and I can't afford that.
    KURZWEIL PC2 main board :: bolha.com

I am very suspicious you need an entire board for a hiss problem.

Do you have ONLY hiss, and no music sounds? Or does the music sound OK, except a lot of hiss is added in?

Does the master volume control turn the hiss up and down? When both channels are independently connected to a stereo amp, is the hiss in both sides or just one (left or right)?

You COULD have something as simple as a bad op amp IC.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There is music sound coming out but you can hardly hear it because the hiss is so loud coming from both left and right output and also thru the headphone. The hiss is always there even if the volume is all the way down.
      The Kurzweil tech here told me that there is a couple of bad IC but since there is some tiny parts that cannot be replace or rather disposable that's why he told me to replace the engine board.

Thank you very much for your comments ENZO.

Comment

Here is the output schematic.

pc2_output.pdf

The complete service manual can be found here: http://www.kevinchant.com/uploads/7/...ice_manual.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your help. I forwarding your PC2 sevice manual to the Kurzweil tech guy and he told me he has that already. He said besides the bad IC there is a part that's attached to the board that cannot be replace so he said the whole board has to be replace.

Comment

Quote:"He said besides the bad IC there is a part that's attached to the board that cannot be replace."

Not doubting the tech, mind you, but I sure would like to know which part he is refering to.

Sounds to me as if maybe the tech cannot handle working with 'surface mount' components.

Comment

Agree with Jazz, all those parts should be replaceable by someone who is surface mount capable.
              Unless it is a part that is extinct and there is no other source than a new board.
              But that does not sound like what the tech is describing. He says the part "can't be replaced", not the part "can't be found".
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No dig on this tech (I don't know the guy), but it's also possible he's just making this up because he can't figure it out and decided to "flock shoot" it. If it were mine, I'd pick it up and get a second opinion.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I also do not know the guy, but it sounds like he is not able to work on the small surface mount type parts. If he found a bad IC, then if he can replace that, he ought to be able to replace the tiny resistors and caps that are around the IC.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	841059Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.JPG
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	841060

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments..Here's a photo of the engine board..The tech guy also said that the transistor is bad and cannot be replace..I'm in the PHILIPPINES right now and there is only one Kurzweil dealer and he's the only guy that's knowledgeable regarding Kurzweil product..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.JPG
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	841061

Comment

Working...
                    X