5 string p bass pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    The 9500, & 10,000 turns, should be per bobbin.
    T
    That's right.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      What type of magnets are you planning to use?
      Relative permeability of neodymium magnets is near 1.
      A cursory Google search on alnico shows a range of values of about 1.3 thru 6.7, depending on type, conditions, and who you ask.
      I wouldn't use neo rods though. Too much string pull. Alnico is bad enough.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        I wouldn't use neo rods though. Too much string pull. Alnico is bad enough.
        I guess I didn't clearly make my point.
        Please reference posts 4, 5, & 6

Post 4:
        David King says the unmagnetized dummy slugs should have the same permeability as the magnetized poles- but he mis-remembers that AlNiCo has permeability close to air (i.e. relative permeability close to 1).

Post 5:
        So Marko concludes that he should use plastic slugs.

Post 6:
        I clumsily point out that neodymium has a relative permeability of 1, and AlNiCo has some higher permeability.

I didn't follow through and state what I thought was the obvious conclusion:
        1) Since you are probably using AlNiCo magnetic poles, then use unmagnetized AlNiCo slugs.
        2) If, for some reason, you are using neodymium poles, then use plastic slugs.

But yes, I would expect neo rods to be too strong for bass pickups.

EDIT:
        This is all water under the bridge.
        Marko has already built his 5-string P & split-J set, and they sound great.
        Last edited by rjb; 04-07-2016, 05:19 AM.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
        X