DigiTech Studio Quad 4 - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DigiTech Studio Quad 4 - Need Help

Can anyone 'simplify' the operation of this rack mount gadget please?

It is a 4 in 4 out mono unit OR a true stereo unit. The latter is what I'm concerned with. Yes, it is a legacy unit as date on back panel is 1997 and it was a top of the line expensive unit way back when. It is in perfect working order. Quad 4 | DigiTech Guitar Effects

I can operate it in mono quite easily - whatever effect on my vocal, whatever effect on my acoustic guitar, however; I need to run it in stereo to where you can hear the signals 'sweeping' across the speakers from left to right etc., like when a phaser or delay setting is triggered.

I'm really not a dunce but something about aging and deteriorating intellect is starting to rear it's ugly head. Thank you, as always, for the assistance you've always given me

I do not follow what the question is.

This is a not too overly complex unit. (as opposed to a synthethizer)

As to Stereo Effect, doesn't that preclude that a Stereo Input is utilized?

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/pdfs/disc...d%20Manual.pdf

Comment

Here's the set up.

Mic or acoustic guitar to selected mixer channel.
      Output of board is set to stereo outs.
      Into rack - 2 channels of Quad 4, stereo EQ, stereo Compressor, crossover, speakers.

Shouldn't effects like delay be 'panning' across the speakers?

Comment

Quote:"Shouldn't effects like delay be 'panning' across the speakers? ".

After a brief perusal of the manual, I don't see that happening.
        There are adjustments like sound field width, L/R placement, stuff like that.

No panning.

Comment

Every program must be configured as far as input and output configuration. See pg.15 of the manual pdf linked in post #2.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I don't see that thing doing an "autopan", as is. The programming/routing is not there.

However...if you REALLY wanted to get it to do something like that, it is probably possible to connect some kind of MIDI up to it to send "Control Changes" of one type or another to change levels, etc.

Of course...that's definitely NOT "simplifying" it!

If you want it during a recording, and you are recording into a DAW...it may be possible to create a new track, assign it the same MIDI channel, assign whatever control change you want, and insert (or draw in) level changes throughout the song to bring effect level of one side up while the other goes down, and it would just follow the song. I suppose you could even run it mono, and maybe send a pan Control Change that sweeps right to left.

(Not sure how cool that would sound with guitar AND voice.)

Alternatively, if you were doing it "live", a MIDI controller footpedal (or, possibly any guitar multieffects pedal with an expression pedal and MIDI out) may be able to be utilized to send control messages to the Digitech...but it would likely need to be done manually...foot on the pedal, continuously rocking it up and down.

Of course, if you already HAVE a stereo digital multieffects pedal (Digitech/Zoom/whatever...with hundreds of effects...with or without a control pedal)...it may have an autopanning preset, itself! But, it's doubtful that an auto- preset would send MIDI to autopan anything else.

I don't think there is any "simplified methods" of obtaining an autopan out of the unit. Not really what it was originally designed to do, i guess. (I suppose they COULD have added that...if they had thought of it?)

Brad1

Comment

Hi Guys! and, Thank You for all your comments. The good news is; I called DigiTech on a whim knowing they didn't build processors anymore (thats' why I didn't call them in the first place). I lucked out by meeting a tech guy who'd been working there since 1994 and was very well versed in the Studio Quad 4.

Yes ... You can fly your vocals or instrumentation across your speakers with this unit by using the Rotary Speaker or the Auto Panner algorithms. Of course, you'll need a MIDI controller.

End of the month, I'm gonna be making my first solo acoustic youtube videos and you'll hear this in action. I heard it first back in the 70's when Judas Priest released the single 'Got Another Thing Comin'. When I heard that guitar hook sweep across my Advents, it made me mentaler than ever!

He also informed me that LEXICON took over their operation for those kinds of toys. The comparable Lexicon unit today is the MX400 - $299. My legacy unit currently sells for about $269 on Ebay ... ain't fair is it. I hate aging!

Comment

It is f....... mono

At least 80% of the factory presets are mono.
                It does not really make sense to buy an external midi controller - when I just want a lifely chorus or flanger. These effects in mono are pretty boring.
                Did you solve this problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
                  Hi Guys! and, Thank You for all your comments. The good news is; I called DigiTech on a whim knowing they didn't build processors anymore (thats' why I didn't call them in the first place). I lucked out by meeting a tech guy who'd been working there since 1994 and was very well versed in the Studio Quad 4.

Yes ... You can fly your vocals or instrumentation across your speakers with this unit by using the Rotary Speaker or the Auto Panner algorithms. Of course, you'll need a MIDI controller.

End of the month, I'm gonna be making my first solo acoustic youtube videos and you'll hear this in action. I heard it first back in the 70's when Judas Priest released the single 'Got Another Thing Comin'. When I heard that guitar hook sweep across my Advents, it made me mentaler than ever!

He also informed me that LEXICON took over their operation for those kinds of toys. The comparable Lexicon unit today is the MX400 - $299. My legacy unit currently sells for about $269 on Ebay ... ain't fair is it. I hate aging!
                  I think the Lexocon MX400 (made in USA) sound better. Of couse I like Digitech processors. I have Digitech Studio S200 and Quad V2 and I use these too to make unusial reverb.

Korg Minilogue XD + Digitech Studio S100
                  More information - https://progressiveaxleradio.com/korg-minilogue-xd

YOUTUBE>> <<
                  INSTAGRAM>> http://instagr.am/p/CfBeJbLg-I9 <<

Comment

Working...
                  X