Minihumbucker rings - size variance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minihumbucker rings - size variance

Have run into problems occasionally with conversions of P90 guitars to minis, the rings are often ever so slightly too large. I use the Allparts rings but are there some out there that are 1-2mm smaller in width/length?

Lollar has his own rings that will fit a Gibson. It's usually the corner radius that's too small on the Asian parts. The Gibson routs are 7mm radius as opposed to 1/4" or something like that. I have some curly maple P90=>minibucker rings that will work but they aren't cheap.

Comment

i had P-90 rings made that will fit most gibsons and then I make them into mini rings with a pin router and a jig by routing out the center. i would see if WD music has them- I believe thier rings fit most gibsons but its been so long I cant remember which companies P-90 rings fit more guitars.Pretty sure its WD. WDMusic.com - Best Online Store for Guitar Parts & Bass Parts

I dont recall what it cost to have an injection mould made- but its alot less than having to make a deep draw die set for stamping out bucker covers.
      I dont sell parts because its too hard to keep from running out as we all know. Even if you have the parts made for you there are minimum runs and it can take weeks or longer for turnaround. Too much risk of running out- weve all been there!

Comment

GFS has these, in cream and black.
        Mini Humbucker P90 Soapbar Adapter Ring Kit CREAM
        I don't know what they will fit, or won't fit.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Your sure bet is to pay $14 and get the Gibson cover off amazon and then laser or rout that for the minibucker. At least the cream won't be yellow or pink.
          There's enough meat on most of the cheap covers that you can sand the corners to the correct radius but that leaves scratches and can melt with a belt sander.
          Sometimes Seymour Duncan will sell covers to OEM clients. It might be worth asking them.

Comment

I can't rout the guitar of a customer in Australia or otherwise far away. Also, maybe it wasn't clear, but the size problem is not fitting the pickup, it's fitting the rout.

Comment

Yes I think that was understood by all so far. You need rings that will fit the smaller routs as sometimes found on Gibsons. Gibson made their rings by simply routing out the tops of their P90 covers to fit the minibuckers since at the time all their guitars were already routed out for P90s. Finding a P90 cover that's true to the originals is seemingly the problem. You'll let us know if you succeed I hope.

Comment

the size problem is not fitting the pickup, it's fitting the rout
                I thought we were all clear on that- any talk of routing was about routing a P-90 cover that fits in a gibson so the cover adapts a mini bucker into it

Comment

Working...
                X