Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were orig. vintage tele neck pickup coils taped underneath the cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were orig. vintage tele neck pickup coils taped underneath the cover?

I always thought that Tele neck pickup coils from the early blackguard years and up to 1053 were not taped but just bare under the cover. somebody claimed they were all taped. It gotz me thinking. Anybody knows?

Not sure, but I like mine un-taped.
    I seat the cover all the way down against the pickup, then pot with the cover on.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

tape on fender coils? No- its a big reason strat coils for instance fail when people take the covers on and off without being cautious. Taping Fender type coils is a more recent thing some do that fender still doesnt do. I have been taping everything I make for 20 plus years to help idiot proof the pickups. Still though one time I had a guy call and he said there were two small copper wires sticking out of the coil and he thought it would look cleaner if he broke them off and removed them but then the pickup stopped working...

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
        tape on fender coils? No- its a big reason strat coils for instance fail when people take the covers on and off without being cautious. Taping Fender type coils is a more recent thing some do that fender still doesnt do. I have been taping everything I make for 20 plus years to help idiot proof the pickups. Still though one time I had a guy call and he said there were two small copper wires sticking out of the coil and he thought it would look cleaner if he broke them off and removed them but then the pickup stopped working...
        Hi Jason

Imagine what that guy could do putting a plug on an electric kettle !!!!

Cheers
        Andrew

Comment

Could it be a misunderstanding? Some of the early neck pickups (I think during the Alnico III period) had the slugs flushed to the bottom and a strip of tape between the magnets and the cover (not around the coil itself) to do the same job the tape did on the baseplate of the bridge pickup. But by the Alnico V period, they flushed the magnets to the top, so the cover no longer made contact and the tape stopped.

Comment

good point- could have been a query about that, obviously Fender knew the coils were shorting out to the magnets hence the tape between the magnets and the metal tele bridge base plate and solid plastic covers over the stringmaster pickups to keep from shorting out a coil wired in series etc.

Comment

That's what I thought he meant.
              I don't tape anything on the neck pickup, and pot with cover on.
              I think there was tape on the top of magnets originally?
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I have only seen it on the brief period they flushed the magnets to the bottom fiber (creating protruding magnets from the top). The "normal" neck pickups that began during the blackguard era and continued on through the decades have the poles flushed to the top and protrude from the bottom never have the tape as there was no chance the cover would touch the magnets once soldered in place.

Comment

Thanks for your input everybody. I thought I had my settings to notify me when thread was answered, but not so. Sorry for my late response. I meant tape around the coil itself. So that's clear now. No tape. Interesting to hear about the early years flush bottom protruding poles on top thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                  X