Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever tumble unplated 'bucker covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The equipment all exists and has for the last 150 years. Choosing a method is going to depend on what you want to see at the end. What are you all going for here?
    I would start with a 1760 RPM buffer, some hard sewn 6-8" cotton buffs maybe 1" wide and a stick of rouge. That will get you a pretty damn shiny surface in just a few seconds. Learn the basics of cutting and coloring here: https://www.caswellplating.com/buffs...s/Buffbook.pdf Once the scratches are gone you can go back in to put whatever luster you want with micro-mesh or 3M jeweler's metal polishing papers. The foam rubber sanding pads are also really good at this if you start fine enough and wear them down a bit first.

Comment

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
      If so, what sort of media did you use?

If not, what would you try first?
      Maybe this is a stupid question, but what do you want these covers to look like exactly? Can you find an image of a cover with a polishing/aging/wearing/abusing finish treatment that you're aiming for?

EDIT: Typing at the same time as David... so you want shiny, not some variation on vintage-ized?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
        Maybe this is a stupid question, but what do you want these covers to look like exactly? Can you find an image of a cover with a polishing/aging/wearing/abusing finish treatment that you're aiming for?

EDIT: Typing at the same time as David... so you want shiny, not some variation on vintage-ized?
        As un-stupid a question as I could imagine, although my answer may be quite stupid.

Not looking for anything I commonly see, certainly not vintage, and I'd describe it as fairly shiny but nothing like the reflectivity of a plated surface.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          The equipment all exists and has for the last 150 years. Choosing a method is going to depend on what you want to see at the end. What are you all going for here?
          I would start with a 1760 RPM buffer, some hard sewn 6-8" cotton buffs maybe 1" wide and a stick of rouge. That will get you a pretty damn shiny surface in just a few seconds. Learn the basics of cutting and coloring here: https://www.caswellplating.com/buffs...s/Buffbook.pdf Once the scratches are gone you can go back in to put whatever luster you want with micro-mesh or 3M jeweler's metal polishing papers. The foam rubber sanding pads are also really good at this if you start fine enough and wear them down a bit first.
          wow... seriously great!

Comment

Working...
          X