Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princeton 112 Plus - 50k 15A Volume Pot Mod - Part Number And Source Needed, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton 112 Plus - 50k 15A Volume Pot Mod - Part Number And Source Needed, Please

Hi,

I have a Princeton 112 Plus and I'm going to do the 50k 15A Volume Pot Mod to it, but I'm having a challenging time trying to locate the correct pot for the mod.

It appears that there are two different versions of "snap in" pots for Fender amps, and they don't look like they're compatible.

Could someone please provide a Fender part number for the Snap In D-Shaft 50k 15A Pot that is needed for the Princeton 112, and a link to a source or two would be extremely helpful.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Bluegrass Picker

Welcome to the place.

[link removed- see below]

or

[link removed- see below]

Both sites have the Fender part number if you care to do some shopping of your own.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-23-2016, 01:52 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Dude, I have to disagree.

Princeton 112 Plus manual:
      http://bmamps.com/Schematics/fender/...ice_Manual.pdf

Look at the board layout, this amp uses the little square ones with the black shaft. The 16mm round ones with brackets are for other amps. That is what your link has.

I have zero idea what "the" volume control mod might be.

The stock volume controls are 50k 30C part 038658

The stock tone controls for one channel are 50k 15A part 037323

If your mod involves replacing a 50k30C with a 15k15A then OK. Order a couple more of the 15A like are already in there.

"Snap-in" simply means the pot has a support bracket with kinked feet, and those feet "Snap into" holes on the board. It does not mean a particular size or shape of that.

The part numbers are in the schematic set.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, Shizz. My bad. I saw the "snap in and immediately thought of those. Apologies.

Anyway, you're right- the mod consists of changing the 50K C taper pot with a 50K A taper pot for a smoother transition to max volume. I believe that's what we're after here.

So, ignore those part links I posted. Do as Enzo says and order the 037323.

Again, sorry for steering the car in the ditch.

Edit: This should be the one.
        http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/...iomer-50k-snap

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          Well, Shizz. My bad. I saw the "snap in and immediately thought of those. Apologies.

Anyway, you're right- the mod consists of changing the 50K C taper pot with a 50K A taper pot for a smoother transition to max volume. I believe that's what we're after here.

So, ignore those part links I posted. Do as Enzo says and order the 037323.

Again, sorry for steering the car in the ditch.

Edit: This should be the one.
          Fender Potentiometer 50k Snap In, 0037323000 | Parts Is Parts - Guitar Parts, Amplifier Parts, Korg Keyboard Parts
          That sure is a cheesy looking pot for 5 bucks
          nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
            That sure is a cheesy looking pot for 5 bucks
            nosaj
            Add shipping and it's even cheesier.

Comment

What do they charge for like one resistor?

The price of the pot is not really about the cost of the part, it is about the need to stock and inventory and distribute and all the other clerical chores involved.

You can probably find the same pot in Mouser or some place for a lot less, but you still have shipping.

You could even come up with pots of that basic type but with the wrong shaft or without the snap in part, and rob the resistor disc from it, and put that in the original pot you want to change.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                What do they charge for like one resistor?

The price of the pot is not really about the cost of the part, it is about the need to stock and inventory and distribute and all the other clerical chores involved.

You can probably find the same pot in Mouser or some place for a lot less, but you still have shipping.

You could even come up with pots of that basic type but with the wrong shaft or without the snap in part, and rob the resistor disc from it, and put that in the original pot you want to change.
                Personally if it were me and that was the choice I 'd go with a cts or alpha and wire it in.
                But that's just me,

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I added a MV to mine in 2013 along with some other mods outlined here...

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32712/

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

The problem with wiring in a CTS or something is these pots are tiny, and the panel hole is barely larger than the 1/4" shaft, so you'd be drilling the one hole out larger. Not only that, but the board is very close to the hole, so there would be no clearance for the body of the pot, In other words, the body of the pot would extend below the surface of the board.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies! Much appreciated

I ordered the 037323 from the source linked above, and as soon as it arrives I'll install it.

The 112 seems to be a good little amp, and it's much more portable than my '63 Dual Showman. It's just that the volume control on the 112 is just about either all-or-nothing in the adjustment....

I've been getting back into playing my tele lately (original '72 Custom) and have been having a blast with it. Still flatpickin' the acoustic though....

Thanks again to everyone,
                      Bluegrass Picker

Comment

Working...
                      X