Schector 1979 P bass pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schector 1979 P bass pickups

Anyone have any idea how these Schector p-04 tapped coil Pbass pickups were wired?
    Apparently these were what Roger Waters used back then and they were designed or wound by Tom Anderson. Supposedly 12000 turns of 42awg and center tapped at 4.-k per coil or 8.-K.
    I'm guessing that the white and black wires on the right hand side were the full coils and the lift side pairs were the secondary? or perhaps they were both secondaries. The system connected to a switch to split them or go from series to parallel, it's not clear. There also seems to be an active module on the back of the switch possibly that ran on 9V
    Attached Files

Here's a picture of a piece of one.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UUUwIgrz9uWNmF
    It is hard to see the colors.
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-25-2016, 10:25 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I have quite a bit of experience with old schecter guitar pups... maybe I can help

could you post a clearer pic of the back of the pickups and the wires coming out?....

Comment

Thanks Mr Fab, I don't have them in hand, I was helping someone on another forum who's not terribly handy with a camera. i did find a better photo of the backsides on this unrelated thread at talkbass https://www.talkbass.com/threads/vin...ckups.1186961/ it the first photo in the first post.
        Here: https://www.talkbass.com/attachments...19-jpg.733229/
        It's not going to get any clearer than that.

Comment

i'll take a stab:

bottom half, red is full tap, white is centre tap, black is earth (earth also shields the pickup)
          top half: purple full tap, yellow is centre tap and brown is coil end

so hot config is purple to hot, brown to red, black earth
          tap config (cool tap) yellow to hot, brown to white, black to earth

these are series config (normal pbass)

for parallel hot

purple and red to hot
          brown and black to earth
          others disconnected

cool config
          yellow and white to hot
          brown and black to earth
          others disconnected

you could easily have a switch to tap the pup and another switch for series/parallel

good luck

fab

Comment

Thanks Fab,

Someone named imdkoz on talkbass actually had a Schecter P-bass prewired pick guard on his bass and kindly took the following photo of the switch wiring for me:

Of note! The brown wire isn't really visible but it goes to the ground lug on the back of the pot along with the black wire.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by David King; 03-28-2016, 05:20 AM. Reason: added the brown wire.

Comment

I see
              that wiring is for the coils in parallel and the switch selecting the cool and hot taps

series/parallel switching would add a little complexity to that arrangement

but if he is happy with parallel, then fine..... but I do believe they were intended to be wired in series though.

Comment

Working...
              X