X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY guitar knob puller?

$53.13 for this knob puller??

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ng_Puller.html

I think that we could make one for under 10 bucks. I can get the clear plastic tube from the local plastic fabricator shop and for the metal jaws sheet metal stock from a hardware store could be hammered using a small vise (unless you can find something better.) The rubber cushioning on the bottom should only be needed when pulling bushings, not guitar knobs.

As for a bushing puller I already made one of those from a PVC fitting and nuts, bolts & washers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-16-02-10-54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	870502

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

I use a couple of pieces of 16 Ga. (about 1/16" thick) bent into an "L" shape. A little bit of electrical tape to protect the guitar top. You can bend that stuff with just a vice. A better bet would be to get 1 1/2" square tubing (double check the inside clearance) and drill holes in opposite sides. Use a Dremel to open one hole into a slot. If you can buy just the material you need should be well under 10 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      I can get the clear plastic tube from the local plastic fabricator shop
      At first I was wondering 'why do you need a clear plastic safety housing? In case the knob explodes?'

Heck that thing looks like the housing could be made from a plastic jar, it reminds me of some brand of instant coffee (Folgers?) or bouillon cubes. Saw off the bottom, drill a hole in the top, bob's yer uncle. Yes a big washer on top to keep the plastic from splitting. A little threaded rod, homemade knob picker & off you go.

So far I've never really needed one thanx hevvins.

My problem knobs are the ones that don't want to pull, and the skirt's jam up next to the surface, no "good" place to slip a tool in. But I've managed to get 'em off anyway.

The super problem knobs don't respond well to pulling. In a couple cases I've yanked on the knob, the shaft comes out with it, then I find it's a collet knob! D'OH!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Stew Mac has some odd stuff. Getting the metal puller down below the bottom of the cylinder, so it can slide sideways onto the knob, loots like it would take >20 rotations of the wingnut up top, with an equal number to have the cylinder sit on the face and actually pull said knob. I guess if its a +$200k 1954 Strat...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          At first I was wondering 'why do you need a clear plastic safety housing? In case the knob explodes?'

Heck that thing looks like the housing could be made from a plastic jar, it reminds me of some brand of instant coffee (Folgers?) or bouillon cubes. Saw off the bottom, drill a hole in the top, bob's yer uncle. Yes a big washer on top to keep the plastic from splitting. A little threaded rod, homemade knob picker & off you go.

So far I've never really needed one thanx hevvins.

My problem knobs are the ones that don't want to pull, and the skirt's jam up next to the surface, no "good" place to slip a tool in. But I've managed to get 'em off anyway.
          The clear tube is to make sure that the puller stays centered on the knob- otherwise you might damage the knob or the pot.

I use half of a wooden clothespin to pry many knobs off; I even got some sheet metal to slide under it to protect the guitar from damage. Many people online recommend using dental floss but I doubt that most of them have tried it.

Richard: I was initially thinking of 2" square metal tubing but you can't just buy a few inches of it. Browsing through Ace Hardware or Goodwill might turn up something that would work...

I used to the HVAC service mgr at a sheet metal shop and they could fabricate anything I wanted. {sigh!}

Steve Ahola
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:

Comment

2 offset screw drivers and a couple strips of rubber for protectors and you can pretty much put the same pressure in the same spots. And I bet it's a lot faster too.

Name:	Beta_Tools_1236B_screwdriver.54ad68054f00c.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	841678
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

A very Cool Tool!
              I still use the old blade from a wide blade table knife, with a paper towel under it.
              It works great, and I've popped hundreds of strat knobs off with it!
              No issues.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Name:	71rAPUizmDL._SL1500_.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	841679

Spark Plug Pliers $8

or this also from StewMac $8.50

diy

Comment

And similar to the black StewMac tool Ted posted above is the good 'ol IC extractor.
                  Nice ones like this are around $15, simple ones without the span lock are probably a buck or two.

Name:	1598-00.jpg
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	841683
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Luv all these lo-tech solutions especially Terry's old butter knife. Another item, the mini wrecking-bar (and burglary tool) sometimes referred to as a cat's paw.

I can see how machining or filing the part of your knob-remover thin, so it can fit under a knob jammed on so there's little or no gap between skirt & surface, would be a good idea. That feature's already there with the butter knife, cat's paw & a couple other gadgets.

Another old fave pry tool is the bent blade screwdriver, handy old item used for everything. Mine's filed thin at the end, can't get along without it. I remember buying it at the gas station in downtown Concord Mass, Thanksgiving weekend 1971. On the tool rack there's the other two cheapos I got at the same time, 3 for a buck. Had a minor panic when I bent it way back when, then realized it's still a useful tool, maybe even more useful now. Still around, still at work.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                      ... this also from StewMac* $8.50
                      I bought one of those and it does not exert enough force to remove tight knobs (the legs pop out under pressure.)

BTW Strat knobs are easy to pull because the pickguard doesn't get screwed up like a nitro finish on a LP, etc....

Steve
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:

Comment

try a ribbon or rope thin enough to get under the knob. Tie it into a loop, get it under both sides to help give you leverage and pull up. Worked for me for a slippery knob on a Marshall SE100. (If you save the ribbons, thin rope from chocolate, (or whatever) packaging it's free.)

(BUT FIRST! ) make sure the knob being pulled isn't a colett knob (these have a brass insert that clamps around the pot shaft which you need to loosen before you can remove the knob. There is also AFAIK always a cap which you need to remove to access a screw or nut which loosens the colett).

Comment

I use an old IC extractor that came with an Apple II service kit. Top quality steel, properly hardened and does the trick.

When faced with stuck knobs on a vintage instrument (or amp) it's worthwhile mentally running through the options to give the most even and controlled pressure. Some of those old knobs have brittle plastic and the pot shafts can corrode inside them. Replacements can be difficult and expensive to find if one breaks. I had a vintage Hofner where a previous owner had attempted to remove the volume knob and it split about a third off and then the broken piece got lost. I ended up taking an impression off the remaining good side and using this to form a mould to re-cast the missing section because that particular knob was unobtainable.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            And similar to the black StewMac tool Ted posted above is the good 'ol IC extractor.
                            Nice ones like this are around $15, simple ones without the span lock are probably a buck or two.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]38724[/ATTACH]
                            I never saw one with the span lock before but it should be simple enough to add one if actually needed. I've got one of them around here... SOMEWHERE but ordered another one from Amazon for around $5. Thanks!

Steve A.
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:

Comment

The StewMac catalog is full of funny jokes. I use a shoelace. They're flat, and thin, and will slide easily under the knob. I slide part of the lace under both sides of the knob to apply even pressure. Trying to pry knobs off by levering against the finish in any way can be pretty destructive.

Comment

Working...
                              X