DIY guitar knob puller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John_H View Post
    The StewMac catalog is full of funny jokes. I use a shoelace. They're flat, and thin, and will slide easily under the knob. I slide part of the lace under both sides of the knob to apply even pressure.
    And I'll bet a tough nylon/dacron/polypro shoelace costs but a tiny fraction of StewMac's $53.13. Besides, when you're done pulling the knob, you can put it back to work in your shoe. Try that with their gadget.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      $53.13 for this knob puller??

Schatten Knob and Bushing Puller | stewmac.com

I think that we could make one for under 10 bucks. I can get the clear plastic tube from the local plastic fabricator shop and for the metal jaws sheet metal stock from a hardware store could be hammered using a small vise (unless you can find something better.) The rubber cushioning on the bottom should only be needed when pulling bushings, not guitar knobs.

As for a bushing puller I already made one of those from a PVC fitting and nuts, bolts & washers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38706[/ATTACH]

Steve Ahola
      A friend of mine sent me one of those for christmas this year. He had it laying around and never used it so he passed it on. I doubt he spent 50 bucks on it though, he's very thrifty. Came in real handy when putting together a parts strat and had to change the ferrels/bushings(?) for the two point trem. Worked like a charm. so it's not just for knobs
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
        A friend of mine sent me one of those for christmas this year. He had it laying around and never used it so he passed it on. I doubt he spent 50 bucks on it though, he's very thrifty. Came in real handy when putting together a parts strat and had to change the ferrels/bushings(?) for the two point trem. Worked like a charm. so it's not just for knobs
        I built my own bushing puller out of a PVC fitting (a 1" female adaptor, I believe), some nuts and bolts and washers. I glued Velcro "loops" to bottom to protect guitar finish.

Even if you are not replacing the bushings you can reinsert them with carpenters glue (Titebond I) to very possibly increase sustain and improve tone.

For knobs I like John's idea of a shoelace!

Steve Ahola

P.S. StewMac's tool prices have gone up considerably over the past 10 or 15 years...
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

yeah I like the shoelace idea too. very thrifty.
          ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Funny thing, looking back at the original pic from stewmac, has that tool not damaged the pot and popped the shaft partly out?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Or maybe it's a "push-pull"?
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                yeah I like the shoelace idea too. very thrifty.
                Have you looked at shoelace prices lately? Figure $4.50 a pair at Walgreens!

Steve
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Or maybe it's a "push-pull"?
                  It sure looks like one which is really stupid because there is absolutely no issue removing the knobs from a push-pull pot- the problem is making sure that they stay on the shaft.

Steve
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:

Comment

I think this came up before on this forum where someone suggested a barbecue fork .
                    It works, the one I have but possibly not a good idea for vintage guitars.
                    Of course felt could be glued to the underside of the fork.
                    I agree G1 .Looking at that top photo it appears the shaft has been pulled out of the pot casing.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                      I think this came up before on this forum where someone suggested a barbecue fork .
                      It works, the one I have but possibly not a good idea for vintage guitars.
                      Of course felt could be glued to the underside of the fork.
                      Great idea! FWIW I was looking for a meat fork two years ago and could not find one in any retail store... had to go to Goodwill.

I agree G1 .Looking at that top photo it appears the shaft has been pulled out of the pot casing.
                      C'mon, erebody... it's a push-pull pot!

Steve A.
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:

Comment

They don't sell meat forks anywhere now. When I last asked they looked at my like I was talking Greek or was some kind of perv. It's really curious to me now, I might need to start collecting them until I own every last one. That should slow down the turkey carving on thanksgiving. I wonder if it's a conspiracy or just a liability issue, more likely people stopped buying them because they look fricken scary.
                        Well at least we can pull the damn knobs off the turkey with this POS.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                          They don't sell meat forks anywhere now. When I last asked they looked at my like I was talking Greek or was some kind of perv.
                          1) Maybe it's a regional thing, but I would call it a carving fork. If you asked me for a "meat fork", I would guess you meant "dinner fork" or "the one that isn't a salad fork".

2) How old were the "they" you asked? This sounds crazy, but it seems that many "kids" are so plugged in to their cyber-world that they aren't aware of common real-world objects. At the local Target, I asked three young "sales associates" if they carried pipe cleaners. Two gave blank stares, and one said "I think we used to have them in the plumbing department." When I began to explain, they (obviously annoyed that I was keeping them from their screens) glared as though I were a giant turd, and assured me in a "go away before I call security" tone that they couldn't possibly help me.

PS- I never did find pipe cleaners at Target, but they do carry meat forks.
                          http://www.target.com/c/cutlery-kitc.../N-5xtraZ5uj9o
                          Last edited by rjb; 04-24-2016, 02:34 PM. Reason: fixed link, changed slug to turd
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Didja mean for that to link a Prince video? Something funny with the attachments tonight... Enzo's schem in the Twin thread was dead, too...

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              Didja mean for that to link a Prince video?
                              No. I think it's fixed now.
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                                Didja mean for that to link a Prince video?
                                Didn't Prince use his teeth to remove his guitar knobs? Oh yeah, that was King (King Jimi, of course!)

Steve

P.S. BTW I ordered an IC puller from Amazon and it kinda worked removing 2 of 4 knobs from a 2013 LPJ, one of which went flying. I will try adding holes and maybe even tapping one of them to be able to use a thumb screw instead of very small nut and bolt.
                                Last edited by Steve A.; 04-24-2016, 08:09 PM.
                                The Blue Guitar
                                www.blueguitar.org
                                Some recordings:

Comment

Working...
                                X