DIY guitar knob puller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mini-pry bar worked perfectly!

I just ran across this tool in one of my many tool boxes and have no idea when and where I bought it. Before snapping these pictures I looked on-line for them. No such luck. In any event I was able to pry off the other two knobs on my guitar du jour, a 2013 Gibson LPJ, putting a songbook under the wider radius fulcrum point to prevent damage to the body.

Note: There are no markings on the tool and some of the edges of the handle portion are a bit rough. Total length is around 9 inches. If anyone knows of a current source for this tool please chime in!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0425161730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	841766

Name:	0425161731.jpg
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	841765

Name:	0425161729_20160425204815239.jpg
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	841767

Name:	0425161731_20160425205142606.jpg
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	841768

Steve Ahola

P.S. This $15.99 pry bar/scraper set from Rockler looks like it would work okay, too. Just be sure to put something under the fulcrum point that will absorb the pressure to protect the body from dings. A magazine with a decent thickness would work. Perhaps put a shop rag under the magazine to prevent the transference of ink to the body.

Stainless Steel Pry Bar and Scraper Set | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-25-21-24-10.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	841769
    Last edited by Steve A.; 04-26-2016, 04:15 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Not as fancy as anything here, but I often times use a small needle nose and a shop rag to protect the body. I can usually get the tip(s) of the needle nose under the knob and straddling the pot shaft. It works pretty well, albeit an "on the fly" solution.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Steve, your tool is a brake adjusting tool.
        Back in the dark ages vehicles had drum brakes, with a slot in the backing plate, (or drum) to gain access to the adjuster. I think I have 6 or more with different angles, and offsets to fit many, (but of course not all), of the applications.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=brak...8QsAQIVQ&dpr=1

[Sorry, Bill, but the rest of your post was lost when I inadvertently clicked on "Edit Post" rather than "Reply with Quote" in composing the following post. Steve Ahola not-so-super moderator"]
        Last edited by Steve A.; 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Bill, for IDing the tool! The one I have has no markings so I suspect that it was made in Asia. The chromed surface is very smooth and the larger bend has a wider radius than most of what turned up in a Google search. One listing called it a "brake adjustment spoon" which I found to be very apt.

Steve Ahola
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:

Comment

Steve, the added link was to a Snap-On version of the tool you have, $40 or so!

Comment

I did look at that link, Bill... verrry expen$ive! I think I bought mine for maybe $5 at one of those "clearance sales" in an Ace Hardware parking lot in which a 3rd party seller brings in their own imported crap to add to the tables with actual clearance items. (I just KNEW that the tool would come in handy for SOMETHING!)

Steve

I guess I should mention that if anyone needs one of their posts edited and they are not given the option, contact a moderator who can do it for you.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:

Comment

I'm gonna stick with my old butter knife!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
                  Steve, the added link was to a Snap-On version of the tool you have, $40 or so!
                  For that price, it better come with a calendar!
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Snap-On used to give out calendars, usually depicting beautiful girls in their underwear, (or not), doing commonplace things like working on cars using Snap-On tools.
                    The customer service manager complained about one I had in my office at my power company shop. I asked her if it wasn't the same one her husband had, (he asked me to get him one). Our boss laughed, and told her if she was offended, she had no business going into my office anyway! (I'll bet that doesn't happen today!)

Comment

Just give her a fireman calendar and it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                        $53.13 for this knob puller??

Schatten Knob and Bushing Puller | stewmac.com

I think that we could make one for under 10 bucks. I can get the clear plastic tube from the local plastic fabricator shop and for the metal jaws sheet metal stock from a hardware store could be hammered using a small vise (unless you can find something better.) The rubber cushioning on the bottom should only be needed when pulling bushings, not guitar knobs.

As for a bushing puller I already made one of those from a PVC fitting and nuts, bolts & washers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38706[/ATTACH]

Steve Ahola
                        I saw this on a amp parts site, and thought of this thread!
                        You can also pull bushings with it.
                        https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/S-T263
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Only $37. Such a deal! Plus shipping & handling, I bet.
                          Why should these things cost any more than a battery terminal puller (not the same, but about the same complexity)?
                          About $10 at your local auto supply store.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

How about a vacuum knob puller?

Name:	airpump2.png
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	841972
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I still use my antique butter knife.
                              Dude, will your vacuum pump make the knob bigger?
                              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                I still use my antique butter knife.
                                Keep your eyes peeled for one of those brake tools. A definite upgrade from your butter knife... With the gentle curve it has worked perfect so far on all of the guitars I've thrown at it.

Steve A.
                                The Blue Guitar
                                www.blueguitar.org
                                Some recordings:

Comment

Working...
                                X