Split P Bass pickups and hum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Puppet View Post
    Have you checked that the magnets in one half are opposite polarity to the other?

Otherwise it won't be humbucking...
    This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway....

Flipping the magnet polarity in one half of a PB pickup wouldn't change it from humbucking to non-humbucking.
    It would just flip the phase of the electrical signal from two of the strings.
    Since bass players don't tend to bend strings, and since two different notes on two different strings can't be "in phase" or "out of phase" with each other, it's unlikely you'd notice a difference- as long as you played the neck pickup solo.
    But when you combined the neck & bridge pickups, you'd notice that half the neck pickup was out of phase with the bridge.

Swapping the leads of one of the coils would change a PB pickup from humbucking to non-humbucking- and also flip the electrical polarity of two of the strings.

Later,
    -Dr. Obvious

EDIT: Sorry for any redundancy- BT posted #15 while I was composing this "lecture".
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

On two strings being out of phase?
      I haven't found that to be a problem either.
      As long as the + output polarity is a match on the two pickups.
      I struggled with that with multi coils, and couldn't hear a difference.
      YMMV,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway....

Flipping the magnet polarity in one half of a PB pickup wouldn't change it from humbucking to non-humbucking.
        It would just flip the phase of the electrical signal from two of the strings.
        It will change the phase electrically yes. The RWRP second coil needs reverse magnetic polarity to hum cancel (think of a strat middle pickup) Or are you just winding me up :-)

Parts Kit for Precision Bass Pickups | stewmac.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Puppet View Post
          It will change the phase electrically yes. The RWRP second coil needs reverse magnetic polarity to hum cancel (think of a strat middle pickup) Or are you just winding me up :-)

Parts Kit for Precision Bass Pickups | stewmac.com
          Magnetic polarity does not cancel hum. All the magnets do is magnetize sections of the strings. It is coils that pickup hum, and so they must be electrically out of phase in order to cancel hum. I hope three times convinces you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
            Magnetic polarity does not cancel hum. All the magnets do is magnetize sections of the strings. It is coils that pickup hum, and so they must be electrically out of phase in order to cancel hum. I hope three times convinces you.
            Yep. Le Stella Artois talking.

#forgiveness

Comment

I saw this thread on talk Bass.
              https://www.talkbass.com/threads/so-...a-hum.1079579/
              It has some interesting ideas on hum with a P-bass.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X