Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one?

Hi, I'm new here and I've been playing acoustic and electric guitar for many decades but I'm kind of a novice when it comes to choosing the right tube amp for playing in a gigging band. I have a Bose L1 Model II for my PA system and I use a Fishman Loudbox Performer 180W for my acoustic guitar. I'm researching what tube amp I want to get for playing my electric guitars. I have a Fender California Model Strat and I also play a Rickenbacher 6 string. We play country, country rock and classic rock. I'm trying to decide between 3 possibilities (and I'm open to any others you guys can recommend) I found two Fender tube amps at GC (used) 1. Vintage Fender 1979 PRO REVERB Tube Guitar Combo Amp 40W, 2. (used) Fender 1965 Reissue Twin Reverb 85W 2X12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp and 3. I wouldn't be opposed to an Egnater/Orange tube or some other brand as long as it's high quality and well built. Can someone tell me the differences between the Vintage Pro Reverb and the Twin Reverb other than the Wattage? Should I get something with a reverb tank?

I'm asking for your expert advice on tube amps so... let'er rip! Thanks in advance...

I'd try all three and let my ears decide. However, the Pro Reverb has one characteristic over the other two that weighs heavily with me: ease of repair by myself. Don't worry about wattage - the Twin is only marginally "louder" than the Pro. And any venue needing more volume than a Pro can put out will mic it. Country/Country Rock/ Classic Rock? Fender. And the Normal Channel of the Pro is easy enough to modify if desired.

PS the Pro is probably rated at 70W, not 40. Don't let anyone tell you it will sound like doodoo because of the Master Volume/ultralinear/whatever other excuse. That might just be a damming fine amp, and probably takes pedals well, assuming it's in good working order. And since it's used, check prices and don't be afraid to negotiate.

My two cents...

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Unless you are a gear snob hung up on brand names and vintage gear check out some other amps. I personally like the Bugera V22 and you can get them brand new for under $300, free shipping, no tax. $250 on sale. I doesn't have a "lush" reverb but if you aren't playing surf it isn't a big deal. Other things to check out are the Peavey Classic series, etc. There's a lot out there, especially nowadays. A lot depends on what you need. A 2 channel amp? Lots of gain. Versatility? Only you know what you want..... Some amps are clean. Some are dirty. Some are a compromise between the two extremes. You might even get by with a processor pedal rig plugged into what you already have and save your back!
      Last edited by olddawg; 05-02-2016, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Not sure if this would matter much to you or not, but some combo amps (e.g. the Twin Reverb) are really heavy to lift and only have one carrying handle. OK, you can use some kind of trolley, but you might still have to lift it up stairs, onto a stage, in and out of vehicles, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X