Differences in tube idle dissipation and what it means at the end of a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in tube idle dissipation and what it means at the end of a day

I have this Peavey Classic B amp from 1976, you know with the solid state preamp, and I am using it as a way to test/match 6L6 type tubes. So I had bought these unmarked "brand new" 6L6GC (supposedly matched) tubes a while back and the pair read 36ma and the other is at like 27ma. Of course the amp sounds pretty damn good with those unmarked Russian tubes albeit not a perfect match at all. All of those readings are with the adjustable fixed bias set to -55v on the grid. So I try another off brand labeled "6L6gc Made in China" and in about 30 seconds one of the tubes bias readings shoots upward with a nice sparkle, that's what I call a tube tester! I have a quad of "used old" Mesa Boogie branded 6L6GC's that I wanted to test out. Instantly those sets of tubes pull much more current with the bias voltage set to -55v and I up the voltage to around -65v or so. At this point I have a pair that sit at 36ma & 25ma and the other pair are 42-44ma to 40-42ma.

So my first question involves the fixed bias voltage... If I raise the bias voltage higher to -70v or even -75v then are then any concerns to "having" to raise the bias voltage so much? This also goes along with question 2... What does it mean if these "used old" tubes draw more current relative to the "brand new" tubes I had in the amp originally? To me it might mean - [pulls more current = stronger OR pulls more current = old weaker], maybe it does not mean either of those. So when tubes get worn out do they pull more current or less, or am I way off?

Lastly, I have a pair of old Sovtek 5881/6L6WGC tubes to test out as well. I have read up online about these tubes and from what I gather is that they are a "Power Horse" tube. However, in the tube data sheet they have ratings that include 250v max plate voltage. The Peavey is running a plate voltage at about 500v or as low as 494v with the Mesa Boogie tubes. The screen voltage is the same and there are no screen resistors on this amp. So, do I have anything to worry about testing these Sovtek tubes out on this amp? Also, why does the Sovtek tube data sheet state only 250v max plate voltage? My thought was that 250v was max plate voltage in class A single ended and to double it to 500v if in A/B push pull.

As always thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback!
    Attached Files
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

I wouldn't worry about those Russian 5881s at all... they run fine in Ampegs @ ~600V no problem. And if they DO blow up, they're $40/pair!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      I wouldn't worry about those Russian 5881s at all... they run fine in Ampegs @ ~600V no problem. And if they DO blow up, they're $40/pair!

Justin
      Yeah that is pretty much what I was thinking after reading about them. Still I get confused with all the different models of 5881 types and the various differences. Still confused what the data sheet means by 250v max plate voltage..? I won't get hung up on it though.

Comment

5881 used to be a specific tube. If you look it up in an old RCA book, it will have lower specs than a 6L6GC. But what they sell today are not really 5881s, they are just variants of 6L6.

Pick any brand of 6L6. You will find they have natural current draw all over the map. When they match them, that is what they are doing, sorting the higher current ones from the lower. They sort them in three, five, ten "grades" for marketing. SO at any given bias voltage, you can find high current and low current ones.

What does it mean if older tubes drawn more or less current than new ones? Same thing it means when some older tubes draw more than other older tubes, or some newer tubes outdraw other newer tubes. It means tubes vary.

When a tube like that runs away at 36ma, then it was a bad tube.

If some tubes are hotter than others, you turn the bias up.

On your data sheet, I see where it lists the test conditions as 250v, but I don;t see it specifying that as the maximum voltage for the tube.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          On your data sheet, I see where it lists the test conditions as 250v, but I don;t see it specifying that as the maximum voltage for the tube.
          Of course I added that "Maximum Voltage" rating tag after reading countless other data sheets that include those specs. It is just a test voltage then. Okay that makes more sense to me now, thanks Enzo!

Comment

From what I have seen, the tubes that pull more current have a higher output voltage.

Comment

Working...
            X