Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 2000 Reverb issues

Hello all,
    just found this forum on Google as I am on a quest for knowledge, lol.
    I have a Marshall JCM 2000, I had it repaired last year cus it was making a wierd crackling noise, turns out there was a capacitor problem. The amp sounds fine now but ever since I got it back the reverb has never worked.
    I have tried swapping the phono plugs around (someone told me they might have been plugged back in wrong) and I have also tried a new phono lead. No joy!

If I plug the reverb unit in and rattle it I can hear the usual sounds, it seems there is a problem sending a signal through it. I have tried sending a signal from an alternative source such as a mixer but nothing seems to get through. So I am under the impression that it is the reverb unit and not the actual amp that is broken.

Any ideas or thoughts on what I can do?

Cheers

Luke

Unti Picture: http://www.kraul.co.uk/reverb.jpg

Reverb pans are relatively cheap if that is indeed the problem. Have you taken the pan out and examined it. There are two wires that connect to the tiny transformers on each end. They are green and white, one could have come loose. Most of the problems with reverbs are contact and connection related and it seems like this is your problem also.
    KB

Comment

Thanks for the info, yes I have taken the pan out. All the wires seem fine and if you tap the inside of the phono sockets whilst plugged in you can hear the usual buzz sound. Where might I be able to get a new reverb pan from?

Cheers

Luke

Comment

Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe, Arizona. There are some numbers on the top or side usually stamped in ink that will match up with the type in the catalog. I do think they have an on line catalog.
        KB

Comment

I think he is in the UK, Amp Kat. Places that sell guitar amp tubes often also sell things like reverb pans.

If you find a number on the pan that looks like 4FB2C1B or something similar, THAT is the type number.

Pull the reverb pan, unplug the cables. Now test resistance at each jack. The resistances will be low, but don'r worry the value. Either the thing is open or it is OK.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I am gonna get a new Reverb Pan from www.darrenriley.com, he ships to the UK so it's all good.

Thanks again.

Luke

Comment

Reverb

If you knew the reverb worked before taking it in for service. I think I would have taken it right back.

Comment

I was just happy to have the amp back to be honest. The guy was sly, I was promised my amp back within 5 days cus I needed it for a show. I couldnt even get in touch with him for about 2 weeks, I was sure it was gone for good.

Comment

Working...
                X