Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOTOH pickups in this guitar - anyone seen them or the guitar before - info on both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOTOH pickups in this guitar - anyone seen them or the guitar before - info on both?

Mystery guitar with mystery GOTOH pups. I am unable to find either in all my searching anyone here have a clue?

Mystery guitar - could it be a prototype aerodyne strat? | Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Lee

I suppose it's possible that they are GOTOH pickups from wherever, and someone just replaced the typical fillister head screws with hardware store hex cap screws. Unscrew one and see if the diameter is similar/same as a 5-40 screw, or if they were drilled out slightly for a larger diameter.

You say the pickups sound good: what do they sound like? With screws that big, they might act more like slugs. But with the caps extending above the bobbin like that, it seems like the coils would have to be lower than usual to avoid hitting them with your pick.

Comment

The guitar is an 80's Japanese knockoff of a late 70's-early 80's Charvel guitar. Probably manufactured by Greco. The pickups are Gotoh Seymour Duncan Invader knock offs.

I think it is funny the other post asked if it was a prototype Fender Aerodyne. That style has been around decades before the Aerodyne.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
        I suppose it's possible that they are GOTOH pickups from wherever, and someone just replaced the typical fillister head screws with hardware store hex cap screws. Unscrew one and see if the diameter is similar/same as a 5-40 screw, or if they were drilled out slightly for a larger diameter.

You say the pickups sound good: what do they sound like? With screws that big, they might act more like slugs. But with the caps extending above the bobbin like that, it seems like the coils would have to be lower than usual to avoid hitting them with your pick.
        They sound like this:
        Recording.m4a
        Low quality through and through but might give you a little sample.
        1st boring set of 3 is w/ coil split going from bridge to both to neck
        2nd set boring set of 3 is w/ split off going from neck to both to bridge (you can hear how the bridge overdrives)
        Sounds much better through an amp and actually playing a tune but this was the only way I was able to record it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
          The guitar is an 80's Japanese knockoff of a late 70's-early 80's Charvel guitar. Probably manufactured by Greco. The pickups are Gotoh Seymour Duncan Invader knock offs.

I think it is funny the other post asked if it was a prototype Fender Aerodyne. That style has been around decades before the Aerodyne.
          At least the Invaders use rounded button head hex screws for poles: those cap screws are really tall.

Comment

I think the guitar would look sharp with a pair of black and cream zebra humbuckers.
            I too would scrap the big pole black pickups!
            GL,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X