Musicman bias question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicman bias question

Hi all: I have a Musicman 130 HD amp I am working on. On the schematic it says to adjust the bias pot to 1/2 volt AC at point "Y"
    There are 2ea "Y" points on the schematic
    Can this be right, "AC", or just a typo? I can attain 1/2 VDC at that point but not AC.
    The "Y" point is right off of pin 8 of 2 of the power tubes (EL34's)

2475-130_and_2275-130.pdf

Here is a different version of the schematic:

musicman-2100-130-schematic.pdf

I can see how it's cornfusing. There's a 10 ohm resistor from cathodes of one pair to ground. And another 10 ohm resistor on the other pair of cathodes. And - - - they're connected together! So, effectively you're measuring voltage across a 5 ohm resistor. Half a volt translates to 100 milliamps when we apply the numbers to Ohms Law, V = IR . I being current in amps. Assuming each output tube is passing equal current that's 25 milliamps per tube. Makes sense for this application.

Something you should be aware of, now 40 - 45 years after manufacture, most of those 10 ohm resistors have drifted. Typically I see 'em 10% high at 11 ohms each, or even more. It's worth measuring them, then applying Ohm's law. Your option to change 'em out to accurate 10 ohm resistors. Or a single 5 ohm. Generally I don't bother, just use the actual resistance at that point & do the calculation. When I do bother, I put in 1 ohm 1% 3 watt wirewounds on each tube, then it's easy to tell which tubes are running hot or cold. Plus the arithmetic is trivial: one millivolt per milliamp.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I don't see AC, I see DC with a little dot after each letter. it is not clear, but I don;t read it as AC. In any case, a technician knows bias is a DC reading.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The first questions I would ask is which version of the circuit is in the amp that you are working on. Specifically, does it have a vacuum tube circuit driving the output tubes or is it the solid state version. The bias adjustment procedure is different for each version. I want to be clear that I'm asking about the Phase Inverter / Driver circuit NOT the pre-amp section. Both versions have SS pre-amp circuitry.

Proceed carefully with Music Man amps or things can really get messed up.

Comment

And, make sure your meter is rated for it... My Fluke wasn't, when it was in high-power mode...

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Here's the factory info:
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It actually says "at" point y. Those two point y's are the same. Those are connection points. HOWVER, I would suggest biasing MM's a little cooler than that. Say, 22-23mA PER TUBE. Go poke around the MM site for guidance. Intro Page Mike

Comment

Working...
              X