Painting my enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my enclosure

hello everybody I am finally at the painting stages of my build.This is the first one that I actually am going to put in a box.I want to put a sort of painted design on the box.My question is what kind of paint should I use.My design is of a pin up girl.So I would need a lot of colors for cheap.Can I use paint that is used for airbrushing.This store sells this paint and I believe it says acrylic on the back.Would you know what kind of paint Mr.Vex uses on his pedals?Can I put lacquer clear coat on top of this.Hopefully I'll be able to finish the pedal before the end of the month and post some pictures.Thanks in advance to any help that anybody can give.

There is a surfeit of threads about putting finishes on pedals over at the DIY Stompbox Forum. You should probably go there and check their archives for ideas and product recommendations. Zachary Vex posted something there a while back describing the process used in finishing his pedals. It's a pretty involved process that takes several days, and accounts for why the painted pedals cost that much more than the silkscreened naked-finish Vexter pedals.

Comment

Whatever kind of paint you use, make sure you at least sand the enclosure to offer a little tooth for the paint to stick to. Aluminum doesn't take paint very well on it's own so at least rought it up with some 400 grit before you paint it. I glass bead blast mine and everything sticks to it really well from toner transfer to paint & clear.

Cheers,
      - JJ
      My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

Thanks guys for the response I already have primer on the box now I can go ahead and paint it maybe with a hammered finish and then I want to hand paint the pin up girl on there.Mark I cant seem to find the exact discussion on the DIy forum you were talking about.I'll do some more searches.i'll post pictures when its done thank you!

Comment

There is a thread called "pictures" ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforu...?topic=36392.0 ) with over 3300 posts on it at the moment, and plenty of photos/explanations/descriptions of what folks have done in finishing their boxes. I'm sure you'll find plenty of good stuff there.

Comment

Working...
          X