Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Deluxe Reverb AB763 reverb pot adding gain/mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe Reverb AB763 reverb pot adding gain/mids?

I can't figure out why the reverb pot adds gain/mids when turned up. Tubes are ok, tank is ok, cables are ok, reverb effect seems to be working normally. Amp has a solid state rectifier plug, the voltages are all up higher than the schematic. Any ideas of where to look? All the resistors in the reverb circuit are within spec. Thanks for your help.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s...763_layout.gif

Originally posted by acorkos View Post
    I can't figure out why the reverb pot adds gain/mids when turned up. Tubes are ok, tank is ok, cables are ok, reverb effect seems to be working normally. Amp has a solid state rectifier plug, the voltages are all up higher than the schematic. Any ideas of where to look? All the resistors in the reverb circuit are within spec. Thanks for your help.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s...763_layout.gif
    Did this just suddenly start happening?

Check the wiring around reverb pot and also that the 470K resistor is in circuit and the correct value.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I'm not sure if it just started happening...i'll ask the customer. 470k is correct and in circuit.

Comment

ok this is interesting

460v on pins 1 and 6 of v5
        -43v on pins 2 and 7

I don't think that's right

Comment

ok this is interesting

460v on pins 1 and 6 of v5
          -43v on pins 2 and 7

I don't think that's right
          Assuming you are looking at one of the 6V6's my guess is you have confused real pin 4 with pin 1 and so miscounted the pins. (ps /edit: If it's the 'vibrato' oscillator then that is normal).

With the amp off, turn the reverb pot all the way to zero and measure the resistance from the grid the mixing node to ground. By that I mean the junction of the 3.3M, the G1 of the 7025, 470K and the 200k. Repeat for reverb all the way up. Report your findings.

Do you have a scope?
          Last edited by nickb; 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

V5 is the trem oscillator and buffer; how does it measure up if the trem is switched on?
            Regarding the reverb issue, strange things can happen if the V4 cathode bypass cap goes bad, as in excessive ESR, due to a positive feedback loop forming.
            By the same effect, it could also be a similarly failing HT decoupling cap.
            As the positive feedback level is increased, there will be an increase in gain prior to oscillation.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Are you sure that reverb circuit was not modified to add gain? It could be done with just a resistor and cap (or two.) I had a "blue ice" module that plugged into the reverb jacks to add distortion to my Pro Reverb. There was a deluxe module that allowed you to connect the reverb tank as well.

Steve Ahola
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                With the amp off, turn the reverb pot all the way to zero and measure the resistance from the grid the mixing node to ground. By that I mean the junction of the 3.3M, the G1 of the 7025, 470K and the 200k. Repeat for reverb all the way up. Report your findings.

Do you have a scope?

155k ohms with the reverb pot at zero, up to 165k with pot at 10
                and yes, I have a scope
                thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                  Regarding the reverb issue, strange things can happen if the V4 cathode bypass cap goes bad, as in excessive ESR, due to a positive feedback loop forming. By the same effect, it could also be a similarly failing HT decoupling cap. As the positive feedback level is increased, there will be an increase in gain prior to oscillation.
                  which one is the HT decoupling cap?

Comment

The filter cap at point marked "D" on schematic.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

thanks
                      I just subbed in new coupling caps and cathode bypass caps on tubes v3 and v4....no change.
                      what about the reverb transformer? I have a spare, I guess I should swap it in next?

Comment

what about the reverb transformer? I have a spare, I guess I should swap it in next?
                        Please stop subbing in parts to try and find the problem.

Is this an old one or a reissue?

If you unplug the reverb tank is the problem still there? How about if you ground the reverb return jack?

Comment

155k ohms with the reverb pot at zero, up to 165k with pot at 10
                          and yes, I have a scope
                          thanks for your help
                          Sorry for slow reply - for some reason I stopped getting email notifications.

Well, those numbers look normal and means that it's likely wired up OK. Can you please check for DC at the top of the reverb pot? I'm wondering if a small amount of DC here is modulating the gain of the reverb recovery stage as you vary the reverb level.

Comment

.8mV on the reverb pot
                            Last edited by acorkos; 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

mid 70s silverface, no master volume or boosts
                              unplugging the reverb tank and grounding the reverb return jack eliminates the problem...same as turning the reverb pot to zero

Comment

Working...
                              X