Which winder and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which winder and more

Hi guys I have just joined and I have been having a lot of fun learning from videos etc about winding pickups and I'm ready to dive in. I already do some guitar setups etc and have always wanted to wind my own pickups.

I have a few hundred pounds for a winder and have been looking at the mojo tone due to the built in gauge meter. I know I need an ociliscope to but no idea what to go for with one of these so I'm looking for a kind of shopping list.

Also I don't just want to be doing things to blinded so what are the most important scientific principles that I need to understand to design pickups from scratch and what books if any would you recommend.

Looking forward to years of fun winding.

This needs to be in the main area, or possibly in the tool area, since he is talking pickup design, getting scientific, and O scopes.
    We try to keep the B/H area, to simple basic winding, with known basic winding data and concepts.
    GL,
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-21-2016, 08:02 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      This needs to be in the main area, or possibly in the tool area, since he is talking pickup design, getting scientific, and O scopes.
      We try to keep the B/H area, to simple basic winding, with known basic winding data and concepts.
      GL,
      T
      I am sorry I hope this can be moved. I only asked in here as I am new and wanted to know where to start.

Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

Seems like a pertinent topic to me ...
        I have a Mojo winder. I like it.
        It works fine as is for single coil fender style pickups. If you're interested in winding humbuckers I recommend that you make a new jig to replace the one that is provided.
        The gauss meter is indeed handy.

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind for me is if you're only building pickups for yourself then why spend $500 on a Mojo winder when you can build one for 1/10th the cost or less in a few hours.

Comment

Have a mojo jury still out you can get a guass meter for $110.00 at r.b.annis company model 25 Hey Stratz do you know the lacquer solution mix for a vintage strat pickup??

Comment

Originally posted by jrc View Post
              Have a mojo jury still out you can get a guass meter for $110.00 at r.b.annis company model 25 Hey Stratz do you know the lacquer solution mix for a vintage strat pickup??
              $110 0-2000g (0-200 mT) gaussmeters are commonplace on eBay. Make sure you read the specs to confirm that they read DC gauss or Tesla. ELF meters are of no use for testing pickup magnets.

Edit:
              Best damn gaussmeter for pickup makers (in my intemperate opinion) is the Spin Doctor from Gravitas.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	_4582309_orig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	844352
              Last edited by salvarsan; 12-21-2016, 05:10 PM.
              "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by jrc View Post
                do you know the lacquer solution mix for a vintage strat pickup??
                As if it matters ,use what ever finish you have or can get locally & experiment with it .if spraying bobbins you may want thin.if from aerosol can it's already thinned you may need more than 1 coat ,I dunk bobbins in a jar of non thinned lacquer & it's good .in winter i use water based finish as i do it inside without any odor .
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                  $110 0-2000g (0-200 mT) gaussmeters are commonplace on eBay. Make sure you read the specs to confirm that they read DC gauss or Tesla. ELF meters are of no use for testing pickup magnets.

Edit:
                  Best damn gaussmeter for pickup makers (in my intemperate opinion) is the Spin Doctor from Gravitas.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]41782[/ATTACH]
                  I agree with your intemperate opinion 100%!

For a start, I'd recommend a Thomas winder from eBay if you're not looking to DIY. They're reasonably priced and can resell for close to what you paid if it's not your thing...the builder usually has 1-3 machines at a time which keeps the price steady imho.
                  Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by CheopisIV View Post
                    I agree with your intemperate opinion 100%!

For a start, I'd recommend a Thomas winder from eBay if you're not looking to DIY. They're reasonably priced and can resell for close to what you paid if it's not your thing...the builder usually has 1-3 machines at a time which keeps the price steady imho.
                    Please no, do not buy a Thomas winder from Ebay. I have attached a few pictures, i have many more because i was going to do a write up on this. The build quality is bad. Even though it may last my lifetime +20 years, i have to warn people what they are buying. I can go on and on but you do not hot glue a pulley to a shaft, you do not hot glue a knob to hold it on. I'm done, when i get time i will do the entire picture thing and write up and hopefully he will never sell another.Click image for larger version

Name:	winder1.jpg
Size:	787.4 KB
ID:	844363Click image for larger version

Name:	winder2.jpg
Size:	697.1 KB
ID:	844364Click image for larger version

Name:	winder3.jpg
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	844365Click image for larger version

Name:	winder4.jpg
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	844366

Comment

Holy crap! That's pretty gross. Mine had hot glue on some of the wires as strain relief but I don't recall it being used structurally. I had to replace a bearing which he sent for free and involved a good teardown but otherwise was a great starter machine.
                      Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                        Please no, do not buy a Thomas winder from Ebay. I have attached a few pictures, i have many more because i was going to do a write up on this. The build quality is bad. Even though it may last my lifetime +20 years, i have to warn people what they are buying. I can go on and on but you do not hot glue a pulley to a shaft, you do not hot glue a knob to hold it on. I'm done, when i get time i will do the entire picture thing and write up and hopefully he will never sell another.[ATTACH=CONFIG]41797[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41800[/ATTACH]
                        That's something else, he must have a hot glue fetish.
                        Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

"Hot glue fetish" -Band name?

Comment

Working...
                          X