No announcement yet.

Adding a tone control to Red Llama clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since I got my kit with 400 100v mylar caps I was able to complete my mod on the Red Llama clone. With R1 of 1k and a 10k tone pot I first tried a .039uF cap which cut off too much of the high frequencies so I downshifted and used a .018uF cap instead. Great!

I expoxied the 10k 28-turn cermet trimmer to the big e-cap with the adjustment screw to the left. Fully CCW was 0 ohms and I ended up turning it about 8 1/2 turns CW to hit the sweet spot.

A big thanks to everybody here for all of your help in taming this darn pedal. Pretty amazing for a 40+ year old design from Craig Anderton not even using an audio chip...

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Great to hear it turned out well. Sometimes the simplest fixes are the best.

Comment

So is there something simple like the SWTC that will cut bass? Just wondering...

One more question: I have a hard time guessing how a -6dB cut per octave high pass or low pass filter will sound. Is there some app or program that will let you punch in some numbers and hear the results on an audio file? I guess I could figure out how to do this with a digital audio program like Adobe Audition but today is Lazy Tuesday!

Steve Ahola

P.S. Yesterday I modded my Way Huge Saucy Box pedal for a clearer, less bassy clean preamp sound without a schematic by tracing the circuit from the dual ganged clean/OD blender pot (Drive) to the C35 0.1uF coupling capacitor which I reduced to 0.022uF!
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Hey, just came across this topic as I'm planning to build a Red Llama myself.

I had saved this link from previous research: TONE CONTROL

It's a very simple tone control for the Red Llama. I haven't tried it, but I generally trust this site, and it's easy enough to implement!

Hope it can help.

Comment

Working...
          X