Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to string tensioner bars

Hi

I have an Ibanez JS700 6 string which - unusually for a JS model - does not have a locking Floyd Rose but a wrapover bridge/tailpiece. Due to the guitar featuring the same neck as its locking relations, with no break angle on the headstock, it needs a tension bar to pull the strings down over the nut, but unfortunately this does not help tuning stability. Is anyone aware of any better alternatives? I'm imagining some sort of tensioner with individual rollers for each string.

Apart from tuning issues it's a great guitar. With two P90s on a mahogany body it's a JS take on a Les Paul Special.

It's not hard to find roller string trees. They're only good for two strings each so three would be needed and they may need to be staggered. I've never seen a full, six string bar with individual rollers. I've also never noticed a real advantage to roller trees over plain trees for tuning. You can also find full, six string bars with a larger radius. That can help too. As can a little high tension grease or graphite powder.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yeah, I'd rather not have to have three string trees. Maybe the larger radius bar is worth a try

Comment

You're probably looking for a simpler solution, but I believe Fender has been using graduated height string trees.

Comment

Whoops, I meant tuning keys.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            You're probably looking for a simpler solution, but I believe Fender has been using graduated height string trees.
            Agree--for less than 75 bucks you can get Sperzel graduated locking tuning machines and a Graph Tech pre-slotted nut. In my experience, there is no more effective solution.

Its in-line, right? In that sense its not an LP, right?
            Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Comment

Working...
            X