Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand you find to be an overall better quality coated string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand you find to be an overall better quality coated string?

Have a "tremol no" equiped guitar and use it as a fixed bridge!

Want to order 20 sets of guitar strings. That's how i'l get a good discount!

I use coated strings. 11-49/48, because i can strech them well and play hard without breakage. Tried elixir nano's and daddario exp's. Also heard good things on ernie ball coated slinky's.

- Elixir's: Break easily when stretching, and have to much tension! Apart from that they are fantastic. Bright sparkling tone, long lasting.

- Daddario exp's. Strong, feel great, much less tension. I can bend easier and tone is good.

I am more inclined to daddario EXP's.
    I don't want to be making "tremol no", height and truss rod adjustments all the time with different tensions.
    Just changing strings (one by one) at a time; and that's it.
    That's why i need the same sets, consistently!

From your experience what do you think is an overall better quality string. Elixir nanos, EXP or Ernie Ball Coated Slinky?

I'm not a big fan of coated strings, but of those that I've tried, I prefer 'Cleartone'

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
      I'm not a big fan of coated strings, but of those that I've tried, I prefer 'Cleartone'
      me neither, but it's summer, i have acidic sweaty hands, concerts, and need longer lasting strings.

willing to give 'cleartone' a try

Comment

Originally posted by johnatanasoff View Post
        I am more inclined to daddario EXP's.
        Same here, good inclination. When coated strings it's generally D'Addario EXP I install. Also gotten along with Dean Markley's, a decent second best.

Elixir has been around for ages, but I can't stand the coating coming loose like spider web, strands of fine filaments. If I'm not mistook, it's Gore-tex. Which makes wonderful ski jackets, and dental floss too. Just not my fave material for coating guitar strings.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Same here, good inclination. When coated strings it's generally D'Addario EXP I install. Also gotten along with Dean Markley's, a decent second best.

Elixir has been around for ages, but I can't stand the coating coming loose like spider web, strands of fine filaments. If I'm not mistook, it's Gore-tex. Which makes wonderful ski jackets, and dental floss too. Just not my fave material for coating guitar strings.
          The fine filaments are no issue for me. I just blow the fretboard by end of the gig and done!

It's the heavy tension and breakage that pisses me off.

EXP's 11-49 feel like elixir's 10-46 to me, but much stronger, so you're not afraid of breaking a string.

Comment

Originally posted by johnatanasoff View Post
            The fine filaments are no issue for me. I just blow the fretboard by end of the gig and done!

It's the heavy tension and breakage that pisses me off.

EXP's 11-49 feel like elixir's 10-46 to me, but much stronger, so you're not afraid of breaking a string.
            I hear ya! And on those Elixir filaments, it's not the ones that break loose that bother me, but the ones that are stuck on the strings. After an hour of use, looks like Cousin It's been playing the guitar.

Attached Files
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              I hear ya! And on those Elixir filaments, it's not the ones that break loose that bother me, but the ones that are stuck on the strings. After an hour of use, looks like Cousin It's been playing the guitar.

hahahahahahaha. Ah yeah those. They don't affect my playing either. But they make the low E look like it's 2 monthys old lol.

still believe EXP's to be the best coated string in the market probably.
              will try eb slinky coated as well

Comment

Been using Sfarzo 'Alloy 5109' since 2009. They have a micro-Teflon coating that doesn't flake. They have a sort of warm/dry sound, in part from the Ni/Fe wraps. Decently bright, and quite slinky. They last really long, don't kink or break as easily as most Steel strings, and pretty cheap online.

Comment

FWIW the Guitar String Warehouse has great prices on the more common sets of strings - I use them for a price match at GC all the time. You might want to email them for a price quote on a bulk order. If you can wait for them to add it to their next restock order it could be win-win for both of you... Or not.

Steve Ahola

P.S. When ordering from their site there is a flat $2.99 s/h charge. BTW they sell .0095 and .0105 single strings from D'Addario.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                  X