This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members: Please read this before posting questions about amp repairs

This is just a friendly reminder to new registrees and maybe long-time members/visitors/lurkers, to, if you choose, fill in the "Location" information in your profile. Lots of threads recently go for 30-40 posts, only to have an "Old Timer" or "Senior Member" ask, "where are you located?"

We have a world-wide and world-class community here, and if there are other MEFers nearby, sometimes it's good to know. Also, for new people, maybe, JUST MAYBE, a forum regular will offer to check out your amp and teach you a thing or two.

Maybe we can save you the trouble of importing parts, or plugging your amp into the wrong voltage. I try to not assume everyone is in the US, but I forget sometimes.

If you choose not to give away your location in your profile, at least try to say where the busted amp is - city, state, province, nation, whatever. Help might be much nearer than you think!

Thanks!

Justin

PS: if you have one, please post a schematic, either a link or an image. If you don't have one, try to search here, because your amp is likely to have been covered before.
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Additional suggestions and notes

Here are additional suggestions from the feeder thread titled "Public Service Announcement: Getting Your Amp Fixed"

Originally posted by bob p
    I would also add an instruction to post a schematic for the amp if you have one.
    Originally posted by Steve A.
    As for schematics it looks like this is best library around:

Amplifier Schematics

You can also check the stickies for the various vendors at the top of the "Schematic Request" forum:

Schematic Requests
    Originally posted by Enzo
    Have the thread title ask a question or state the problem. I sometimes don't bother to open threads titled "A question..."*** "Ampeg BA115 makes loud hum" is pretty clear.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I was reminded earlier today that one rule should be "Don't send personal messages asking questions, start a thread first."

I get PMs all the time from newly registers people with a post count of zero. I have to then explain they need to make a thread so others may benefit from the effort, and he will also gain the insights of the group instead of just mine. And I add that had I done all my consulting in personal messages, they would never know I existed.
    Originally posted by J M Fahey
    Very often , on many amps considered plain vanilla or too commonplace (in the US that is), the answer boils down to "junk it and buy another at Guitar Center" to "not worth repairing , you can get a new one at local Craigslist for less than $50" to "order a new Classictone transformer for $60 and have it delivered to your door for $15" (or even free ) to "send it back and get a full refund" .....

NONE of which applies outside USA. Often not even in neighbouring Canada, go figure.
    Originally posted by Steve A.
    As for being USA-centric it *is* where the MEF website is located so it is not unreasonable to expect someone living elsewhere to provide a location which is requested but not required to join MEF. Otherwise we are liable to assume that someone has 120VAC/60hz mains and normal access to what us Americans take for granted.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
    X