Peavey Vypyr 60 bad sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Vypyr 60 bad sound

Peavey Vypyr 60 modeling amp in for sound cutting out, sometimes no sound, notes fizzling off to obscurity. I believe the amplifier part of this hybrid is fine, and that the problem is with the computer board. All controls and it's many LEDs working. I think the noise gate is wonky, because when dialed up to a clean setting it doesn't gate out, but it does still have a fair bit of digital hash going on. I've read up on the Peavey forums that these amps can be glitchy and that firmware updates or re-flashes can fix several of these issues. I'd like to try an update, but I don't have a midi to USB cable, and I know from experience firmware flashes can go wrong and possibly render it unusable. At this point it feels like it's computer repair and I hate computer stuff, it drives me mad. I've explained this to him, and offered to give it back at no charge. He's a young, smart guy perhaps he can do it. I told him I support him with it if he tries it himself.

I know some of you will say it's the way of the world, so an amp shop should be able to also have computer skills, but that's just not my bag, dig?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

If it is not part of your interest, then so be it. I would suggest that a call to customer service at Peavey might have netted you some assistance. Certainly in the area of firmware updates and such.

Did you try a reinitialization? (Restore factory settings) Sometimes that is all a digital system needs.

I admit little experience with the Vypyr line. I am confused about the MIDI cable. WHich end needs the MIDI? I would have thought the amp had the USB end, and so ought to communicate with a computer via USB to USB.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I tried a factory reset, all it does is reset the presets. AFAIK. The MDI to USB cable is because comm is at a MIDI jack on back of the amp that the large foot controller uses. There actually is a USB on the front panel, but it is a record output. It's a little confusing because there is also a Vypyr VIP model, and it does it differently, I think.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

OK, cool, 'cause I haven't seen one of those.

If it is done it is done, but for future, Peavey has in my view the best customer service team in the business. And there are actual tech people there you can talk to for repair assistance.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X