Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I remember it wrong or did I just not know what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I remember it wrong or did I just not know what to look for?

Two amplifiers that I had years back are driving me nuts. Sadly, all I have is recollections of them and no pictures, because I ended up needing to sell them.

One is a Sears Silvertone head I bought for $25 around 1976 that looked, for all the world, like a Silvertone 1484. Same row of jacks along the bottom, two channels, big knobs, etc. But I remember it as being light and not having a massive transformer. Did Silvertone make anything during that late 60's to mid 70's period that was visually similar to a 1484, but solid-state?

The other is a Gibson amp I bought around 1986. I paid $50 for the amp plus a Schaller wah/yoy pedal at an auction. The wah was what I really wanted, so I used the amp for a little while, fixed the reverb, then sold it. I remember it as being a single-channel amp of modest wattage, with a 12" speaker, reverb and tremolo, and a sloped front visually identical to a Gibson Falcon. Did Gibson actually make any solid-state amps fitting that general description, or did I let a collectible slip through my fingers?

I've learned much in the intervening years, but I knew the difference between tube and solid-state amps, and their relative value, back then. I've poked around on the net to see if there were any SS amps fitting those descriptions, but to no avail. So I figured I'd ask the experts.

Did such solid-state amps ever exist, or did I simply overlook and misremember them?

Any of these gibsons look familiar?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gibso...SSAcwQ_AUIBigB
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

For the Silvertone, any of these look familiar?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Silve...+state&imgrc=_
      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
        Did Silvertone make anything during that late 60's to mid 70's period that was visually similar to a 1484, but solid-state?
        1464 or 1465??? It looks a bit similar to the 1484 at first glance. At least this what I thought of when I read your post.
        https://www.google.ca/search?q=silve...gbv=1&tbm=isch
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I think you guys have nailed it. The 1464/65 is as much of a dead cosmetic ringer for the 1484 as you can get. So I imagine that's what it was. I honestly don't remember how powerful it was, largely because I never really turned it up all that much. I do remember it wasn't puny...but there are a lot of alternatives to "not puny".

As for the Gibson, I have to say that the only thing in that Google image search (which I did as well, a while back) that seems to correspond exactly to what I had seems to be a Falcon. It was one channel of a single row of controls, on a slanted chassis top/front with a silver-grey finish. That said, the Gibson Starfire has the same style of grey tolex and knobs, 12" speaker, medium power, and single row of controls with reverb and tremolo. I remembered the top as silver-grey and the Starfire has what appears to be a black top. But everything else seems to check out, so I'm beginning to think that's what it was. And, given that I had to open it up and get inside to change the cap that was undermining the reverb tone, I would have noticed if it was tube or solild-state.

So, I think we have a winner in the Starfire.

Comment

Working...
          X