Guitar noise - Buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar noise - Buzz

So Picked up a new guitar, but it buzzes which stops when I touch any metal parts. Put another guitar into the same amp and cable to check = zero noise.
    So I went through and redid the earthing in the guitar. Still buzzed when plugged in. Last night I rewired the whole guitar with completely new pickups and electrics, screened cables. It STILL buzzed. I take the same guitar downstairs and plug it in and it's dead silent.

Can anyone explain what may be happening because my brain is spinning. Seems to be some kind of weird interaction. But I can't understand as I completely changed the electrics.

When you are holding the guitar, but not touching it you are like a giant antenna picking up noise in the room which then gets picked up by the guitar. When you touch the earthed metal that noise current flows to earth so you no longer re-radiate that energy. It also sound like one room has much more electrical noise than he other.

The usual solution is to line the entire electronic cavity with grounded copper foil.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Well this guitar isn't fully foiled in the cavity. Not sure if the other guitar is but it's possible (Fender). I guess it could be a combination of more electrical noise in that particular room and the non cavity shielding.
      Interesting. Thanks for the input NickB.

Comment

Fender usually uses foil on the pick guard and a conductive paint in the control cavity. The paint is usually sufficient, but who knows what differences may manifest with different origins of manufacture. Could be a bad batch of cavity paint.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A gut shot picture of you guitar would help?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

What they said ^^^ plus,...... is the bridge grounded? Check with a meter- just because there might be a wire there doesn't mean it's making good contact.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Is this guitar a telecaster?

Comment

Hello, sorry for the slow reply as I've been away from the Net.

The guitar that buzzes is a Revelation Semi Hollow jazzmaster style (Budget Chinese). The guitar that doesn't is a Fender Tele. (Both have PAF's).

The weird thing is I moved the whole setup (Guitars and amps) to a different room and the Revelation no longer buzzed. . So it just seems to be more susceptible in that particular room. But I'm going to shield the cavity anyway and take it from there.

Comment

That makes me suspect a wiring issue in that room.

Any time a guitar buzzes and it stops when you touch it, you have a ground problem. If it goes away in another room or house, I suspect a wiring problem in the room, rather than the guitar. Shielding won't hurt, but it's not intended to do much about a ground buzz, it does help stop electromagnetic interference though. Things like neon signs and radio stations might have a lesser effect. But it won't stop a ground buzz, the only cure for that is to fix the ground problem. Usually the most common culprit is the ground connection from electronics to bridge.
                  Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo Pete View Post
                    Me too. What's great about that is that it's a loft room that's recently been built and wired by a company I paid.....

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo Pete View Post
                      Yes, BUT!.. The other guitar with the same type pickup doesn't have a problem. Certainly some well considered circuit examination and shielding might render the two guitars equal in noise management.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                      X