No announcement yet.

Removing Crusty foam from Vintage Jaguar Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the moving the rods up and down for years on my new strat pickups.
    It only works on new pickups, not vintage pickups!
    Tape the magnets well.(I use wax floral tape)
    Wind the pickup, and wax pot thoroughly.
    Put the pickup in the freezer, or refrigerator, for a little while.
    Take out, and use a small mallet to adjust the rod up and down, while it is cold.
    The rod will move, and the hard cold wax in the coil will support the coil and tape.
    If the magnets aren't taped well this won't work.
    It works slick !
    Like mentioned earlier I mainly do it on the 4 middle rod magnets, not the ends.
    After you are done, check with a ohm meter to see if any rods are shorted.
    Try it if you want to, if you are scared of it, then don't try it.

T
    Last edited by big_teee; 12-25-2016, 05:58 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Jim, you jogged my memory a bit - my prejudice against pulling the flatwork apart comes from getting a number of vintage P90s in for repair that had split bobbins - where the flange has been separated from the core a bit.

I think every time I've gotten one of those, part of the coil was stuck to the flange and the magnet wire was all torn up - always on the outside of the coil, with what must be tape adhesive residue crusted up. The usual story is that theyr saw that it was separating, even if still working, pulled on it to investigate and in so doing tears the magnet wire and/or out pops the coil like a scrunched up slinky.

Wax potted Fender stuff obviously doesn't have that same same issue, so I'll give that a go for now on.
      Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Working...
      X