What on earth is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on earth is this?

Does anyone know what this is? I can't find anything that looks quite like it. Oh and Hi, new here. Hopefully the gurus can shed some light.Click image for larger version

Name:	1482277995214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	871141Click image for larger version

Name:	1482277986933.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	871142Click image for larger version

Name:	1482277979947.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	871143

I can tell you what it is and does from a functional viewpoint, but who made it - and when - is a different question.

It looks like a clamp-on magnetic pickup for turning steel-string acoustics into electrics. There's an attached tone (?) control and some wire that should end in a 1/4" phone plug for connecting to an amplifier.

You and your rare finds are both welcome here, by the way
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      I can tell you what it is and does from a functional viewpoint, but who made it - and when - is a different question.

It looks like a clamp-on magnetic pickup for turning steel-string acoustics into electrics. There's an attached tone (?) control and some wire that should end in a 1/4" phone plug for connecting to an amplifier.

You and your rare finds are both welcome here, by the way
      Thanks, i thought it was an acoustic pickup. It appears to have an insert for a 2.5 or 3.5mm i'e my speaker jack fits into it which i found odd as i wasn't aware speaker to quarter inch leads were a thing in general. I also see no real place for a battery or power which is even stranger.
      Cheers for the reply

Comment

Wouldn't need a battery, if it is just a pickup. Looks old. I had such a thing on my Gibson J50 decades ago.

!/4" male to 3.5mm male cords are common enough, I used to stock them on my peg display, along with RCA to 1/4 or whatever.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I had one very similar to that 40 years ago, was marked Lafayette.

Comment

Working...
          X