What potting wax mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What potting wax mix?

I'm having issues with potting my latest batch of pickups. I usually use a 10% mix of beeswax and paraffin, but for some reason they are still microphonic? My method is using a brake bleeder at 20 in Hg. Vacuum Till no bubbles. Takes about 10 mins. This is the 2nd attempt with this pickup. Any ideas?

Maybe it's not the pickup that is microphonic.
    Check the rest of the guitar.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Well I guess? But I can holler in the pickup. So it's gotta be

Comment

Well it seems by the description that the either there's a pocket with loose winds that the wax can't get into (I know, DUH). It's probably possible (though risky, but I've done it) to remove the magnets and reinsert them after potting. That would allow the wax better access to the inner winds. Are you using a new magnet wire that may have an unusual coating? Something siliconized or PTFE, uh, ized? might actually be shedding the wax. Just thinking out loud. I don't buy magnet wire so I really don't know if this is possible.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

what kind of pickup are you having trouble with?
          Strat, tele, HB, P90, etc. ?
          Some Pictures maybe?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

That is a very good question I'll see what I use to wind it with

Comment

It's a humbucker. I've never had this problem before, I guess I musta wound it too loose?

Comment

Is it covered? Are you potting it assembled? If not covered, are the coils already taped? Are the screws in? etc...

10% beeswax seems fine. I think most guys go a little higher in beeswax, but there are also guys that just skip it and use straight paraffin. I'm not the potting expert, but pretty much anything that has a reasonably high melting point and can soften/sticky the paraffin a little should work fine. I've even used Vasoline! My point is that I don't think your wax mix is the problem.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                  It's a humbucker. I've never had this problem before, I guess I musta wound it too loose?
                  Is it a covered humbucker? The cover could easily trap an air bubble (that gets larger and exposes more coils under vacuum).

Comment

You might have to 'triple wax pot' your humbucker like Epi does.

1) Pot your coils individually before assembly

2) After assembly, heat up the coils with a hot air gun to loosen up the wax and repot the pickup again. Clean off all the extraneous wax.

3) When you put the cover on, heat up the cover and the pickup, assemble both, fill up the cover with molten wax, and and then vacuum repot again.

This should make your pickup impervious to all possible microphonics.

No lie

Ken
                    www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      You might have to 'triple wax pot' your humbucker like Epi does.

1) Pot your coils individually before assembly

2) After assembly, heat up the coils with a hot air gun to loosen up the wax and repot the pickup again. Clean off all the extraneous wax.

3) When you put the cover on, heat up the cover and the pickup, assemble both, fill up the cover with molten wax, and and then vacuum repot again.

This should make your pickup impervious to all possible microphonics.

No lie

Ken
                      Is THAT how they do that. I re-potted some Epi pickups once (because they were microphonic!). I got the cover off without too much trouble and found a block of wax underneath. Nothing holding the pickup together except the wax. I can't even remember now if there was a proper base plate. I must have figured it out then though because the guitar is working and I didn't have to buy pickups .

Comment

Has anyone ever tried thin (not normal hardware store stuff - the stuff that is less viscous than water) superglue for potting?

Comment

humbuckers are supposed to be microphonic!

I'd try winding with a little more tension. could be bobbins are too loose. YMMV
                          Jack Briggs

sigpic
                          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Good pick harmonics, with controlled feedback.
                            Try medium tight coils, well paper taped.
                            Then pot once with cover on fully assembled.
                            Drain excess wax out the corners.
                            GL,
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I must have just wound this one weird? Never had this problem before

Comment

Working...
                              X