No announcement yet.

Vox AC30CC2 mutes on low signal (especially AC30CC2X with blue speaker) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30CC2 mutes on low signal (especially AC30CC2X with blue speaker) problem

Hello,

I've bought a nearly new AC30CC2X with stock tubes. There is a problem that when the input signal gets lower (e.g. playing soft notes) the amp mutes completly after few seconds. If I hit the guitar hard again hard (large signal input) the amp plays again.

I found out that the send channel with a second amp is ok, so the problem must be after the receive input (e.g. power section) and not in the preamp section.

It is equipped with the following tubes:
    1x: 5AR4 SOVTEK (R) MADE IN RUSSIA 0803
    3x: 12AX7WC Sovtek (R) Made in Russia 07 09
    4x: EL84EH electro harmonix Made in Russia 08 05

Any ideas?

Thnx.

Wiesl

It doesn't sound like anything a tube would do. There may be some sort of noise gate built into the circuit? Maybe the bias is hinky on one of the opamps? A lot of silicootie tech is beyond me though. Here's a link to the schematic to make it easier for others that might take a look.

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/vox/Vox...2005)%20SM.pdf
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Theres a switch on the back to deactivate the effects loop. Try switching it back and forth a couple of times, then put it in bypass mode, and check the amp again. Also check the speaker leads and make sure everything is tight. Maybe try another speaker lead temporarily to see if anything is screwy with the original.
      Stop by my web page!

Comment

Holy Moly!
        How's it been Regis?

Have not heard from you in a coons age.

Comment

I was thinking the same, good to see you back!
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi guys,
            Thanks for your kindness. I had a pretty busy year in 2016. I rekindled a relationship with a lady I was with back in the early ninties and we're doing well, gonna get married sometime this year.

I haven't been playing much or doing any amp stuff though. She fully supports both for me, she's a great lady.

My workshop was in such disarray I started a remodel, and when finished I'll heat up the soldering iron again.

Thanks

Regis
            Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
              I haven't been playing much or doing any amp stuff though.
              Wimmin will do that Congratulations

Comment

That's great news, I was concerned that the long silence following your health issues wasn't a good omen
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I bet he bought new pants.

I say that because back in my band days I came to practice in new pants once. My vocalist asked me if I'd met someone. I had. He said that new pants were a dead giveaway

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Only a vocalist would notice new pants.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      I bet he bought new pants.

I say that because back in my band days I came to practice in new pants once. My vocalist asked me if I'd met someone. I had. He said that new pants were a dead giveaway
                      No, she bought me new pants. And shirts. And socks. And art for the walls, rugs for the floor, and lamps for the end tables she brought over.

Also I can't walk around in my underwear, leave my socks on the floor, or look at naked women on the internet anymore.
                      Stop by my web page!

Comment

Fair trade

Comment

Working...
                        X