Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Triple Shot - 1 Pickguard Mod

Howdy,

I've gotten some questions about how I installed a SD TS-1 pickup ring on a Strat pickguard, so I'm going to post some pix here so folks can reference it.

The ribbon cable for the TS does not properly route past the Strat pickguard, and the poorly made connections will break off very easily.

So I traced the pickup ring on the pickguard, drill pressed a slightly smaller hole than I needed, then used a small sanding drum followed by some freehand sanding with fine grits to make it look nice. The outcome is far less exotic looking than the example solutions I got from SD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TS-1 Strat Pickguard Grind 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	871195

Name:	TS-1 Strat Pickguard Grind 2.jpg
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	871196

Name:	TS-1 Strat Pickguard Grind 3.jpg
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	871197

Thanks!
    Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Hey, thanks, I'm coming here, from your reply, at Amazon. (Doug) So, it seems like the problem is from the ribbon, coming down, into the cavity, and you have to gouge out space, directly under the ring? But then, you cant see it, right? Seems doable. How do you like the height of the rings, and the height of the pups, when installed? Did you put the switches on the bottom, the pots side of the strings?

Comment

Originally posted by JFrankParnell View Post
      Hey, thanks, I'm coming here, from your reply, at Amazon. (Doug) So, it seems like the problem is from the ribbon, coming down, into the cavity, and you have to gouge out space, directly under the ring? But then, you cant see it, right? Seems doable. How do you like the height of the rings, and the height of the pups, when installed? Did you put the switches on the bottom, the pots side of the strings?
      Haha--I don't know if I would use the word "gouge" But yes, you've got it. Make sure you trace the ring onto the pickguard and then keep the "gouge" within that, otherwise you will see it. The height of the rings and pickups is fine for me, and I haven't gotten any complaints from the player. The switches are on top, opposite side than the other controls. I don't have that one here anymore, so I can't snap any specific photos, but here are some I took (zoom in at the ring). Looks like I took these before I set it up, as it doesn't have all the screws in place, and the SC's look a bit hinky. I don't remember any trouble with setting it up. Its a flat mounted Floyd Rose on modified Yamaha body and neck, but I didn't do anything special to the pocket other than angle the neck with shims to get the geometry right for the Rose. Meaning, it has a bit low clearance, but that works find with the ring.

Name:	Estefano 2 late build 1.jpg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	844513

Name:	Estefano 2 late build 2.jpg
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	844514
      Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Comment

Originally posted by tbonuss View Post
        Haha--I don't know if I would use the word "gouge"
        You've never seen my 'fine' craftsmanship!

K, thanks for the info!

PS, love them chicken heads cool idea.
        Last edited by JFrankParnell; 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X