ZVS boost converter for tube PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZVS boost converter for tube PSU?

Has anyone here tinkered with ZVS DC DC boost converters for generating B+? I have a 19V 7A laptop supply that needs to be put to use and this looks like it could be a cheap, neat, off the shelf way to get B+ from a low voltage DC supply without building my own SMPS for a preamp (and maybe small power amp.)

I would have thought that the ripple and regulation would have been horrible but the top comment from this product has me thinking that it might be okay:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&pldnSite=1

Easily dumped 376v into a 5k power resistor. The means 28w was being produced (75.2ma). I saw little voltage fluctuation according to my voltmeter (less than 1v). And my oscilloscope show triangle noise spikes of about 50-200mv with harmonics in the 3khz and 60khz range... all things considered, that's pretty fricken quiet! I'm going to attach these to a proper LC filter and try to create a Tube based guitar amplifier!
    I've bought a cheapo 12V car inverter to play with but this looks pretty cool too.

Too good to be true?

Looks like the ZVS route is viable: AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project
    I'm going to order one and a DC DC step down for the heater supply to play with.

Comment

Originally I picked one up to run from a brick PS and supply the HV for the amp, have a 16V one and some 15CW5's. Saves a lot of weight, I'll put up with the OT though. I recall doing a quick test on it and had no reason to think it will not do what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zozobra View Post
        Looks like the ZVS route is viable: AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project
        I'm going to order one and a DC DC step down for the heater supply to play with.
        Just looked at this, cool.

Comment

I played a guessing game - but no guesses as yet
          YH11068A 10-32V to 45-390V dc/dc - guess the control ICs - diyAudio

Comment

Quick update. I've got the boards installed in my freshly bent test chassis and they work fine with an earth bonded bonded laptop PSU that I've acquired. I've not tried them under load yet but I should have at an ecc99 poweramp and LTPI wired up this week to see if they work as expected.

Comment

That psu uses a UCC3843 and LM358 - I haven't got around to updating the schematic yet.

Comment

Never being one to do anything particularly quickly, here is a finished ecc99 amp using an ebay ZVS board and buck for the B+ and heaters. I'm using Merlin's new PCBs here and I must say they're pretty awesome to work with.

Amp works just fine. I was originally taking the preamp supply from the PI node but that was dropping too much voltage. It was very quiet like that. I've now moved to tapping the supply from the main filter which is a bit noisier but still more than acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                X