Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering equipment uk

Hi Everyone

Can anyone one tell me where is best place to get soldering gear from.

Regards
    Peebs

What do you need? bitsbox.co.uk do some okay stuff for cheap.

I bought one of these and changed the plug and I can't fault it: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/solderin...h-eu-plug.html

It's a clone of the Hakko 936, and while it's not built as well it is hella cheap and uses the same tips. Check out a few youtube videos comparing them. Heats up quick and maintains temperature. If you leave the page open for a while the price will drop by a few euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Zozobra View Post
      What do you need? bitsbox.co.uk do some okay stuff for cheap.

I bought one of these and changed the plug and I can't fault it: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/solderin...h-eu-plug.html

It's a clone of the Hakko 936, and while it's not built as well it is hella cheap and uses the same tips. Check out a few youtube videos comparing them. Heats up quick and maintains temperature. If you leave the page open for a while the price will drop by a few euros.
      Great stuff, thanks for that, only just starting out looking at guitar tech stuff. My gear is all industrial scale.

Comment

There's a wide spread of possible requirements and it would be helpful if you could be more specific. I work with everything from SMD to soldering up ground strips on a Fender chassis. The killer is usually not enough heat. Pigeon-crap solder joints on the back of guitar pots is a sure sign of amateur work with insufficient heat input or a poorly-regulated iron.

Having a decent solder station and iron makes all the difference; the difference between a surgeon cutting you open with a scalpel or butter knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          There's a wide spread of possible requirements and it would be helpful if you could be more specific. I work with everything from SMD to soldering up ground strips on a Fender chassis. The killer is usually not enough heat. Pigeon-crap solder joints on the back of guitar pots is a sure sign of amateur work with insufficient heat input or a poorly-regulated iron.

Having a decent solder station and iron makes all the difference; the difference between a surgeon cutting you open with a scalpel or butter knife.
          Hiya Mick

Mainly want to build small tube amps from old kit, everything you find in there. If that takes me elsewhere good stuff. I have an electronics background. Just couldn't find a reasonably priced place to buy soldering gear in one place.

Peebs

Comment

My station is a Xytronic 137ESD from Rapid and I can't fault it. Really nice quality. Fast heat-up, long-lasting bits and good thermal regulation. Takes care of pretty much everything other than chassis soldering. The iron is a delight and has a slinky silicone cable. Plenty of heat for tag strips, pots, terminals, turrets etc.

The downside is there aren't many retailers in the UK. Weller has much better support, though prices here are steep and some of the better value models sold in the US aren't available here. Rip-off Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              My station is a Xytronic 137ESD from Rapid and I can't fault it. Really nice quality. Fast heat-up, long-lasting bits and good thermal regulation. Takes care of pretty much everything other than chassis soldering. The iron is a delight and has a slinky silicone cable. Plenty of heat for tag strips, pots, terminals, turrets etc.

The downside is there aren't many retailers in the UK. Weller has much better support, though prices here are steep and some of the better value models sold in the US aren't available here. Rip-off Britain.
              Finding that to be a familiar theme. Someone on youtube says this is great and you can't get in uk. Standard!

Comment

Working...
              X