70's Ampeg Bass 410 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Ampeg Bass 410 combo

Ampeg combo has a couple bad filter caps. The old ones are huge.

4800@60v

I have 4700 @63 V snap in's which I assume should work fine. They are much smaller though.

Any reason besides age why the oem caps are the size of 6l6's?

Is there a different style cap I should use instead?

Thx in adv

Originally posted by guitardad View Post
    Any reason besides age why the oem caps are the size of 6l6's? Is there a different style cap I should use instead?
    Cap manufacturers constantly improving the product, now can put more energy storage into a smaller volume. No problem using the snap in ones you have, just adapt the mounting any way you can.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I sometimes use the 35mm diameter snap in caps because they fit the old 1-3/8 mounting clamps. 4700uF at 63V is only about 1-1/4 inch high so they look kinda funny.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        I sometimes use the 35mm diameter snap in caps because they fit the old 1-3/8 mounting clamps. 4700uF at 63V is only about 1-1/4 inch high so they look kinda funny.
        The ones I have do work, but they are rated at 1.7A ripple current, whereas other larger ones at Digikey are rated at 4.8A ripple current.
        Not usually a spec I concern myself with other than Voltage and Capacity. Does that spec matter much?
        This amp is high power with a 6A and 4A fuse in series. It eats a lot of electrons

Comment

I would use the higher rated part. It probably costs more, but it will last much longer.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
          X