Gibson Les Paul supreme 2014 floating pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul supreme 2014 floating pickup

A customer asked me for a floating mini-humbucker, like the one mounted in the Gibson Les Paul supreme 2014. I'm trying to figure out how this pickup is mounted. It's not the usual side or neck mount. A closer look reveals some kind of spacer in the bottom, but no other sign of how it is mounted:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	871365

Any idea?

Thanks!

I can't help you as I haven't even been in the same room with one of those, although all the p'up specs are here:

Gibson.com: Les Paul Supreme 2015

Another example of bad p'up design by Gibson, if you ask me. Sad.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
      A customer asked me for a floating mini-humbucker, like the one mounted in the Gibson Les Paul supreme 2014. I'm trying to figure out how this pickup is mounted. It's not the usual side or neck mount. A closer look reveals some kind of spacer in the bottom, but no other sign of how it is mounted:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]42575[/ATTACH]

Any idea?

Thanks!
      double stick tape?
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

@jack it seems unlikely that a +5000$ model uses double stick tape to mount a pickup... Could it be glued to the neck?

@Pepe Thanks. Never saw or played one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
          @jack it seems unlikely that a +5000$ model uses double stick tape to mount a pickup... Could it be glued to the neck?

@Pepe Thanks. Never saw or played one too!
          can't glue metal to wood so easily. certain adhesive foams (double-stick) are renewable, hence my suggestion.
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            I can't help you as I haven't even been in the same room with one of those, although all the p'up specs are here:

Another example of bad p'up design by Gibson, if you ask me. Sad.

HTH,
            Notice they say the neck pickup is 6.18k, while the bridge is 5.51k? That doesn't make sense. But I have read that's a low wind pickup. Sounds like they wound be very unbalanced (or of course the neck pickup might use thinner wire).

Typically floating pickups like this have a bracket that screws to the end of the fretboard. Maybe this has some kind of tabs that insert into holes?

Gibson makes some weird guitars these days.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

They specify the wire as 42 gauge wire for both pickups, 4250 turns for the neck and 3800/3800 for the bridge pickup. However the neck pickup seems to lack height adjustment and mounted quite far from the strings, so that might be the reason for the higher output neck pickup (compared to the bridge that is...)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                ...4250 turns for the neck and 3800/3800 for the bridge pickup. ...the neck pickup...mounted quite far from the strings...might be the reason for the higher output neck pickup (compared to the bridge that is...)
                Peter,

Assuming the specs are correct, this would be a great way to balance output between the two pickups given the mounting constraints of the neck pickup...good call!
                =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

The neck pickup isn't that far from the strings, and since even with a set of evenly wound pickups, the neck pickup is always louder. So you always adjust it farther from the strings.

I'd bet on this guitar that the neck pickup overpowers the bridge pickup, which is clearly trying to be a Filter'Tron.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    The neck pickup isn't that far from the strings, and since even with a set of evenly wound pickups, the neck pickup is always louder. So you always adjust it farther from the strings.

I'd bet on this guitar that the neck pickup overpowers the bridge pickup, which is clearly trying to be a Filter'Tron.
                    Yeah, but if Pete's specs are right, "...4250 turns for the neck and 3800/3800 for the bridge pickup" the pickups aren't balanced at all. If you look at the OP pic, the PU is really far from the strings.

Also, not sure where you got that the bridge PU "is clearly trying to be a Filter'Tron"??? Is it just because of the "3800/3800" turns??...it could be that turn count just for the balance issue.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                      Yeah, but if Pete's specs are right, "...4250 turns for the neck and 3800/3800 for the bridge pickup" the pickups aren't balanced at all. If you look at the OP pic, the PU is really far from the strings.

Also, not sure where you got that the bridge PU "is clearly trying to be a Filter'Tron"??? Is it just because of the "3800/3800" turns??...it could be that turn count just for the balance issue.
                      What part of "another example of bad p'up design by Gibson" was not clearly understood...?

The person/s that came up with this combo must be the same as the 490R/498T, only now that they're older, are also senile to boot?
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                        What part of "another example of bad p'up design by Gibson" was not clearly understood...?...
                        ??? Not saying it is a good design or not. I am saying, if Peters specs are correct, and given the apparent constraints of not being able to adjust the neck PU height, it is "A" way to balance the output between the two...thats all!!! Thought that was obvious.

Jim

Comment

They actually have the specs here:
                          I agree they are odd, but hey, its from the source, and unusually clear in terms of details...

Comment

Working...
                          X