Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22 gauge tinned stranded 600v wire for heaters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 gauge tinned stranded 600v wire for heaters ?

https://www.cedist.com/products/wire...g-50-foot-roll
    Would you recommend this product for heater wires as well as or generally area's in a 50 watt Marshall style build ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

The isolation is thick as hell. looks like a cable under norm of air and oil enviroment standard. It will be very hard to pose it discretly and aesthetic into electronic equipment. and functional as well
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I've used that wire before and its workability was good from what I remember. And I'm pretty sure it's fine for heaters. Never had someone call me about any problems... Here recently I did up my heater wire stock to 20awg but there wasn't any reason, just did.
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

If i was to build a marshall style amp & wanted to go with Red & Black heater wire like Marshall uses ,what would you recommend ?

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          If i was to build a marshall style amp & wanted to go with Red & Black heater wire like Marshall uses ,what would you recommend ?
          Noramco - Equipment, Hookup and Switchboard Cable Bare, Tinned, TEW, SIS, GTF, SR, Type B, TR64, GTO-15 Neon Sign Cable

http://www.noramco.ca/pdf/ele01_07.pdf

http://www.noramco.ca/pdf/ele01_05.pdf
          Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM.
          "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

It may be overkill, but I don't go any smaller than 20awg for power tube heaters.
            Then 22 to preamp heaters.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              It may be overkill, but I don't go any smaller than 20awg for power tube heaters.
              Then 22 to preamp heaters.
              T
              you're right. for preamps more than 22 will be difficult to hook into noval sockets. 18-20 to power tubes are welcome

Comment

What about something like this? A thinner gauge but with ultra rugged insulation?

https://tubedepot.com/products/18-ga...de-tefzel-wire

This wire can be hard to work with but it's ultra strong and rigid, holds in place well, seems like it will last forever. I have used 20 and 18 guage of this type of wire in my builds without issue. for heater windings and everything else too.
                Last edited by nsubulysses; 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I've used some of this in different colors.
                  They also stock the 600v wire.
                  Hook Up Wire, 20 AWG, Solid, Red, 100 ft - Remington Industries
                  This insulation doesn't melt too badly either.
                  I bought a lot of pickup magnet winding wire from Remington, and they are a great company.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I bought a lot of pickup magnet winding wire from Remington, and they are a great company.
                    T
                    This is a big point of contention for me for the wire posted in post #1. Actually I guess I just accepted it at first but then grew to hate it when i started using the Tefzel wire. I felt like I would never want to go back because you literally can't melt the tefzel insulation so it makes everything look cleaner.

Comment

In my oppinion solid wire rules. I used for everything and offer the advantage of physical stability. There is a litle bit confusion for me in American awg sistem cause the core diameters are not awg equivalent for solid and stranded. Talking about heaters I have some little tricks. I made myself the wires for heaters using double enamelled wire which I cover with thermocontractible tube, then I twist it. The ideea was to keep the wires as close as possible with very little isolation in between and with a very close pitch. That.s important to reject electromagnetic interference.
                      In a past working with stranded I found PVC isolation as best.Why? because can be molded. Twist the wires into drill machine, keep it under tension when finish and heat it with a heat gun till start to soften. Keep it under tension till is cooling. You will get a rigid structure which retain the shape. you can untwist gently and still retain the twisted shape. Cut the twisted wire in pieces need it and just join the ends like shake the hands. It will looks like made from one piece and very rigid. Hope my english is understandable...
                      Also want to add it is a good practice to pose the wires (specially the signal ones) "sticked" by chassis.That means it will beneffit by a "shielding effect". That.s easy to do with solid core
                      Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-01-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                        In my oppinion solid wire rules. I used for everything
                        You must have some pretty stiff guitar cables!

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                        There is a litle bit confusion for me in American awg sistem cause the core diameters are not awg equivalent for solid and stranded.
                        The cross-sectional areas are the same; stranded wire has ~5% larger overall diameter because of geometry.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...wire_AWG_sizes
                        Last edited by rjb; 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                          You must have some pretty stiff guitar cables!
                          ...not quite. I don.t want to imagine what might happen if using a regular RG type CATV cable will sound beyond compare than most expensive cable I have...
                          Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

T
                            I said the same thing 20 gauge solid for heaters but finding the right wire from Ce distribution or Mojotone seems a little difficult . CE dist sells that cloth 20 gauge solid in green (fender style i guess) that is huge i have a spool of it & I didn't use it for heaters as it is too big & bulky
                            I will be ordering some stuff from Remington so i will get it there. thanks to everyone but surely keep this thread going ...

Comment

Solid core 22 gage wire works fine for heaters/pilot light. Don't know if I'd try using stranded.

Comment

Working...
                              X