Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar volume pot always on

hello there, how are you? first post, and a simple question:

i just installed a new pickup, my first tech job, and i installed one volume pot only; the issue is it is always on. when its on full volume, it works fine, and when its on 0, it buzzes with distortion, and it doesn't completely shut off the volume. actually the volume is less pronounced when its on the middle.

tone changes occur though, as some volume diminishes but it never goes away.

do you know what is wrong with it? shall i resolder something or is this the product of a bad soldering?

https://soundcloud.com/filipe-br/pickuptest

above is a clip of how the pickups sounds (first, with distortion, it's on 10, then on 0, then slowly back to 10, and then its without distortion, first on 0, then on 10)

cheers!

(edit: its a humbucker, and i didn't post any pics of the soldering yet cause the guitar is stringed, and i have to remove it to see the interior. also the tone seems to be good, it's a jb, and it sounds a bit louder and even better then my dimarzio evolution - will never buy dimarzios again, lol)

Welcome to the place!

It's going to be hard to offer any advice without a picture or a diagram of how you wired it.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Welcome to the place!

It's going to be hard to offer any advice without a picture or a diagram of how you wired it.
      perhaps someone could know from knowledge. Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	844880

i followed this wiring. the only thing i changed was the jack output wiring. what is considered the tip in the diagram, i soldered to the back of the pot (a fender 500k pot), and whats considered the sleeve, i soldered to the round thing of the pot, since when i did otherwise, the pickup was with a loud hiss, and this way theres no hiss, but also it doesn't turns out...

Comment

Tip of the jack should go to the center lug of the pot. Sleeve should be to the pot body (ground). Also make sure that the outer leg of the pot is soldered to the pot body (ground) as shown in the picture with all other grounds.

Comment

Did you ground the pot terminal on the right?
          If not, you don't have the ground to kill the output, when the pot is rolled off.
          T
          ** the dude beat me to it!
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	844886Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	844886

i have soldered like this, i'm not sure i understand everything you guys wrote...

in this jack i think the tip and sleeve are inverted as to the seymour duncan picture; can that be possible? because when i solder like the seymour duncan, theres no sound, and when i invert it, theres sound, but it just doesnt turn off...

and if i understand correctly, i should solder the ground of the bridge to the third pot lug? in that way will it work?

as far as i see there are three options i tried:

bridge ground to the back of the pot, and tip sleeve inverted, it works but it doesnt turn off;
            same scenario but with seymour duncan alike tip and sleeve, theres no sound

and also the seymour duncan scenario, without the bridge ground, and no sound either.

so i guess in this chinese jack, they are inverted then?

i just dont know how to ground it for the volume to turn off then
            Attached Files
            Last edited by o.o; 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

i just thought of something: does the bridge wire, the sleeve, and the green and bare wire of the pickups, do they need to be wired together in the same solder? like first intertwined and then soldered? cause my interpretation was that as long as they were soldered to the back of the pot it didn't matter if they were separate

Comment

oh, nevermind. god i'm stupid, lol

i didn't ground the pot terminal

heauheua

nevermind, and sorry for the annoyance! xP

Comment

So you got it? It still looks to me like you have the wires backward on the jack (aside from the pot lug not being grounded). You can check with a meter if you're unclear which lugs go to which. the white wire should go to the lug that is tied to the tip of the jack. Meter directly from the longer/"snap"/tip pin of the jack and see if there is continuity to the white wire.

Edit: Also, FYI, you can just tap the pickups with a little screwdriver or something to test that things are working correctly. That will save you putting it back together every time and putting strings on to see if it works right.

Comment

i think it worked! thank you guys! you both o/ where can i deposit the beer money? ;d thanks!

(if i can help you with anything just drop me a pm, cheers!)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      So you got it? It still looks to me like you have the wires backward on the jack (aside from the pot lug not being grounded). You can check with a meter if you're unclear which lugs go to which. the white wire should go to the lug that is tied to the tip of the jack. Meter directly from the longer/"snap"/tip pin of the jack and see if there is continuity to the white wire.

Edit: Also, FYI, you can just tap the pickups with a little screwdriver or something to test that things are working correctly. That will save you putting it back together every time and putting strings on to see if it works right.
                      i'm not sure i understood everything, gonna test it now as i'm excited, but will come back to check if i understood what you said too; thanks!

Comment

JB.mp3

just recorded a clip to show you guys it worked. the jack is indeed inverted, and the right lug solder was what was missing

Comment

Working...
                        X