Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarios 80s Any made with none hex poles, blank, slot type dia.? Re Kay K45 guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarios 80s Any made with none hex poles, blank, slot type dia.? Re Kay K45 guitar

DiMarios 80s Any made with none hex poles, blank, slot type dia.? Re Kay K45 guitar

I bought a Kay K45 rifle guitar/Austin hatchet made only in 1981 travel guitar that are ostensibly DiMarzios.

No stamped logo, brass plate but threads stripped on adjuster holes.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6480.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	871381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6474.JPG
Size:	771.1 KB
ID:	871382Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6481.JPG
Size:	966.0 KB
ID:	871383Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6477.JPG
Size:	840.8 KB
ID:	871384
    Last edited by zedax; 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM. Reason: better pics

There were many DiMarzio copies back in the 80s. It was common to see lots of Asian guitars with DiMarzio looking pickups, both with hex poles and not. Even Schaller made their own clones.

I have a few of them in my parts box.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi David,
      Thanks.
      So, of unknown quality, copied cosmetically only?
      Everyone listing these at £2-400 confidently claims that they are DM's!
      Cheers

Comment

The quality is probably good. I have one of those mounted in a guitar I built. It's probably from one of the Korean makers.

If they were DiMarzio it would have their name on the bottom.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Really, specifically from a Kay K40? or would it be the only copy available?
          K40 was built in Cort factory.
          I thought pups in copies of that era were the weak point.
          Thanks

Comment

zedax, those depicted p'ups are *not* DMZ.

They're cheap, OEM, asian origin p'ups.

You can easily spot'em due to that horrible colored, extremely high capacitance lead coming out.

And the model made with two slug bobbins were the cheapest of'em all.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

HTH,
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

Thanks. I had concluded the same but when confronted with so many listings purporting they are DMs I consulted the oracle.
              I think it is down to the colour.
              However, I read an article that maintained that any functioning pup has appreciable merits, depending on taste.
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by zedax View Post
                However, I read an article that maintained that any functioning pup has appreciable merits, depending on taste.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Blocked for NBC Universal copyright reasons, so, we will never know why you posted it?

Comment

I read an article that maintained that any functioning pup has appreciable merits, depending on taste.
                    Well anybody can say anything in an article, and they often do! But this statement reminds me of a quote that was attributed to Nile Rodgers: "never get rid of any reverb." No matter how trashy. I guess you could say the same for pickups, speakers, amps, etc. If you have the room to keep it, also keep in your memory where you have it, something that sounds "off" might just be the hook that makes your next recording a hit.

Then the trouble starts: you have to perfectly replicate it every day on your worldwide concert tour.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Hi, It's only a pup, one factor in a long chain from string to ears with numerous ways of processing it in between.
                      One man's "off" is another man's on, though I do recognise consensus of opinion, but also advertising, product reinforcement, endorsements, peer pressure, gullibility etc.
                      I prefer alnico Celestion speakers and yet some seek JBL 120s which to my ears are harsh, sterile and pingy.
                      I somehow prefer SD alnico pups but I have not researched each type or option using an AB comparison with the many variables I refer to above.
                      I ended up with a rig that had a fault that I was not aware of which along with a roller saddle trem. that robbed me of sustain that I didn't recognise.
                      I developed a style that compensated with more and cleaner notes.
                      That's probably relates to Ywingie endorsing low output pups.
                      Last edited by zedax; 03-09-2017, 05:40 PM. Reason: Im'm not perfect

Comment

Blocked for NBC Universal copyright reasons, so, we will never know why you posted it?
                        Bummer. Where are you? No blocking issues here.
                        Unfortunately, it's one of those "you have to see it", "picture is worth a thousand words" dealies.
                        A verbal description could never be as eloquent.

Nonetheless:
                        As cows graze in the background, Jack White partially drives three ~16d nails into a ~2-1/2 ft length of crusty old warped 2x4. He strings some bailing wire between the terminal nails, and jams an empty Coke bottle under the wire at one end- the third nail blocking the bottle from sliding toward center. At about midpoint, he secures a ~6" length of 1x4 pine with two brads at diagonal corners. To this riser, he loosely attaches what appears to be a cheap Tele bridge pup (with conveniently pre-attached output jack pigtail) by tacking it down with a single nail driven through a mounting hole in the bottom flange. He plugs into an amp and plays some uber-raunchy riffage- using a Craftsman spark plug socket as a slide, natch. Upon completion of scaring the cattle, he breaks the third wall to inquire "Who says you need to buy a guitar".

Get it?
                        -rb
                        Last edited by rjb; 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

You didn't miss a thing, 1:37 minutes, I'll never get back.
                          Too bad it wasn't blocked here!
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            You didn't miss a thing, 1:37 minutes, I'll never get back.
                            Too bad it wasn't blocked here! T
                            Terry I hope you'll risk another couple minutes for a new post on your "covers" thread. No fence posts, no wire, just a little fun. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26810-5/#post449396
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I don't know anything about your pickup, but I do clearly remember in the 80s, Cort LP style guitars advertised in the Sears catalog with "super distortion pickups" They had all blank slugs and double cream bobbins. Dimarzio?
                              Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X