Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarios 80s Any made with none hex poles, blank, slot type dia.? Re Kay K45 guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    You didn't miss a thing, 1:37 minutes, I'll never get back.
    Too bad it wasn't blocked here!
    The man's a genius. We just don't understand him.

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Terry I hope you'll risk another couple minutes for a new post on your "covers" thread. No fence posts, no wire, just a little fun. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26810-5/#post449396
    Ignoramus question: Why the two mics?
    Different EQ/FX for verse vs. chorus?
    Out-of-phase mics cancellation system ala Grateful Dead?
    Some other reason?

-rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Thanks dmartn, back on topic. Could still be copies with additional plagiarism as the Super Distortion ref. may not have been copyrighted. Hopefully DM changed to adjustable pole screws.

Comment

Pups off a Cort M200. Any comments? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5691.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	678.7 KB
ID:	844936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5632.JPG
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	844937

Comment

When I evaluate a humbucker?
          I like to know how it sounds, and how it is made.
          Does it have a nickel, or brass baseplate?
          If brass, I don't fool with rewinding them.
          Does it have Nickel silver or brass plated covers.
          If brass I scrap the cover.
          So, if it has a nickel baseplate, standard type bobbins, standard metal parts, I usually rewind them.
          The screws, slugs, & magnet can be replaced & tuned for tone.
          Just evaluating a OEM humbucker by attempting brand ID, is IMO means little, & is nonproductive!
          GL,
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
            Bummer. Where are you? No blocking issues here.
            Unfortunately, it's one of those "you have to see it", "picture is worth a thousand words" dealies.
            A verbal description could never be as eloquent.

Nonetheless:
            As cows graze in the background, Jack White partially drives three ~16d nails into a ~2-1/2 ft length of crusty old warped 2x4. He strings some bailing wire between the terminal nails, and jams an empty Coke bottle under the wire at one end- the third nail blocking the bottle from sliding toward center. At about midpoint, he secures a ~6" length of 1x4 pine with two brads at diagonal corners. To this riser, he loosely attaches what appears to be a cheap Tele bridge pup (with conveniently pre-attached output jack pigtail) by tacking it down with a single nail driven through a mounting hole in the bottom flange. He plugs into an amp and plays some uber-raunchy riffage- using a Craftsman spark plug socket as a slide, natch. Upon completion of scaring the cattle, he breaks the third wall to inquire "Who says you need to buy a guitar".

Get it?
            -rb
            I know that movie! There's a few personal moments with Jimmy Page that I like. And Jack White spends some time teaching his younger self how to step on guitars for the sake of ART.
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              Ignoramus question: Why the two mics?
              Different EQ/FX for verse vs. chorus?
              Out-of-phase mics cancellation system ala Grateful Dead?
              Some other reason?-rb
              again, apologies to pickup folks. The yellow tape mic is straight-up. The other one has a doubling/harmonizer effect on it, to approximate the vocal doubling effect the Beatles used. I can only guess Annie does it this way maybe because there's a different FOH mixer every show, can't count on that person to pay attention to cues and have fast fingers. So she sets it up with two mics. Practical and looks kool too.

Any more questions maybe better taken to the Cover Tunes thread, to help preserve sanity (?) of our pickup friends.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Does it have a nickel, or brass baseplate?
                If brass, I don't fool with rewinding them.

Why not? I think that's an over generalization. Most DiMarzio pickups have brass baseplates. They sound fine. So do Asian copies. I’ve rewound a few, an they come out fine. The baseplate doesn’t make that much of a difference, and if you can’t figure out how to make a pickup with a brass baseplate sound good, there’s something wrong there! You only have one formula to follow?

And I’d bet blindfolded you wouldn’t be able to tell.

I make some humbuckers with forbon baseplates too. Doesn't really matter. They all come out sounding the way I wanted.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  again, apologies to pickup folks. The yellow tape mic is straight-up. The other one has a doubling/harmonizer effect on it, to approximate the vocal doubling effect the Beatles used. I can only guess Annie does it this way maybe because there's a different FOH mixer every show, can't count on that person to pay attention to cues and have fast fingers. So she sets it up with two mics. Practical and looks kool too.

Any more questions maybe better taken to the Cover Tunes thread, to help preserve sanity (?) of our pickup friends.
                  Annie's AMAZING. I'm guessing she gets to choose what vocal sound she's getting herself rather than the sound person cuing it in.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I use to fool with brass guitar humbuckers, but I prefer the sound of nickel with alinco, for guitar pickups.
                    A personal preference thing. I only use the parts I like.
                    If you like brass, go for it.
                    I don't!
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I use to fool with brass guitar humbuckers, but I prefer the sound of nickel with alinco, for guitar pickups.
                      A personal preference thing. I only use the parts I like.
                      If you like brass, go for it.
                      I don't!
                      T
                      So you only make one kind of pickup? Where's the challenge in that! Try something new. Step outside your comfort zone.

I make some with alnico magnets. I make some with ceramic or neos. It all depends on the tone I want. I really don't hear any difference with brass baseplates. But if there was, you can even use that as part of the formula. Like the way Dimarzio puts a thin brass plate on top of the Model One bass humbucker.

DiMarzio makes an awful lot of different sounding pickups with brass baseplates. So I think that demonstrates that the baseplate doesn't have a tone.

Comment

Whatever you think D.S.
                        Terry

Comment

Remember the #1 thing customers hear with are there Eyes as well as .... higher $$$ =better .
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Lots of guitars back in the 80s had what looks like DiMarzio pickups. Or at least they were double-cream bobbins. I think it was trendy as DiMarzio was hot back then. But any of these guitars would have looked fine with black or white pickups and rings.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have some Dimarzio pickups from the 1980s.

Here's what I've seen.

The legs either have Triangular tabs or Square tabs ... never seen the round ones like in your photos
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9013[1].JPG
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	845521

Name:	IMG_9014[1].JPG
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	845522

The slug pieces in the 80s had a "sunken" center. This later became a fairly obvious "bulls eye" or "whirl".

Name:	IMG_9015[1].JPG
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	845523

Comment

kmensik | Hondo II LPC ? rajce.net
                                Hondo II with original "OEM" DiMarzio Super 3. The cable may not be original, the other pickup had grey cable.

Comment

Working...
                                X