Class II or Class 0 appliance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class II or Class 0 appliance?

Here's a pic (rather fuzzy due to light levels) of a Brunetti preamp pedal a customer dropped by for repair. I was pretty dismayed to see it has a 2-conductor socket for Class II use, yet has exposed mains terminals, a metal case and no earth protection. Only the transformer has a double-insulated symbol, but in my opinion this equipment falls into a Class 0 protection classification in the UK and as such not permitted for sale or use. I get plenty of equipment with loose parts, broken wires or that have drinks spilled over them and I regard this piece of gear to be unsafe. One of the case screws is very close to an exposed terminal and could easily be bridged. Interestingly, the customer contacted Marco Brunetti and he's entirely dismissive of my assertion.

There's plenty of space for an IEC socket and provision of an earth, and to elevate the signal ground as per some Marshall amps or the Fender reissue reverb to eliminate the possibility of a ground loop. Makes you wonder how a modern piece of gear can get built in this way. It also has a CE sticker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_164802337.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	871385

I agree with you. It certainly looks like a single fault could cause an electric shock. Is that a two pin mains input bottom right and switch top right? The live wire could break of the switch and contact the chassis then you're toast.

Comment

Won´t comment on Brunetti´s implementation, which looks cheesy "boutique" (label which as you know desn´t bring instant respect in my book , often quite the contrary), but I *have* seen "serious" Audio equipment (think well made powered PA cabinets made by "real" Factories, think RCF and such) with 2 wire power cables.
      I was baffled enough to research a little and yes, *there is* some electrical safety class which accepts that, although it may not be Clas 2 but a special detached one.
      I also found that in Polar Circle Countries (basically Scandinavian) , earth is deemed so hard to excavate for any kind of grounding system, safety or otherwise, all year round, including Summer, that they had to adapt to 2 wire ungrounded stuff ... obviously being very strict on insulation requirements.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

There is no way that can meet CE requirements. Marco clearly doesn't understand the civil liabilities or criminal responsibilities that come with placing a CE mark on his product.

Gosh, looking at his profile he does have a year of "self study apprenticeship" to his credit. Hard to argue with that.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          ......Interestingly, the customer contacted Marco Brunetti and he's entirely dismissive of my assertion......
          I have to wonder how dismissive he'll be after someone gets electrocuted and the law comes after him.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Just checked Brunetti´s site and first product I saw was his "Mille" tube preamp ... it sports a nice IEC connector ????

As of his other "credentials", they match typical "Guru" ones, why am I not surprised?
            Not too different to George Weber, Aguilar, and a Ton others .... including our own SGM.

Checked a little more, this one does not:
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What gets me with this is the stance taken by some boutique manufacturers; a complete refusal to accept any criticism. By contrast, when I contacted a mainstream manufacturer about a potential shock hazard, they took it really seriously and took action to remedy the design.

With this particular item the customer wants it safe; so a 3-pin mains lead, shrouded terminals, earthed case and sort out the signal ground. I do it with my own mains-operated gear and don't have any problems.

Comment

Working...
              X